ALRC grants Madhatters, T.C. Katz entertainment licenses

Madhatters: The Alcohol License Review Committee granted Madhatters a 21+ entertainment license Wednesday. The venue plans to have entertainment on Thursday nights, manger Rebecca Fichtner said.

Madhatters was granted a 21+ entertainment alcohol license at the Alcohol License Review Committee meeting Wednesday.

As of right now, Madhatters will host entertainment only on Thursdays.

""We chose Thursday because we are not completely at capacity and we would like to see a patron increase [that night],"" Fichtner said.

Two years ago, Madhatters manager Rebecca Fichtner said the venue was not ready to handle opening up a business before ""adding additional components.""

One of the reasons Fichtner wanted a 21+ entertainment license as opposed to an 18+ entertainment license was due to the security issues the floor plan of Madhatters presented.

T.C. Katz, another downtown bar, received an 18+ entertainment license. The venue is located in the space previously occupied by Ram Head. T.C. Katz was already granted a 21+ entertainment license.

Committee members said the venue is ideal to accommodate the needs of student organization events.

Fichtner said the multi-level bar is harder to manage than the single-leveled bar T.C. Katz, which was granted an 18+ entertainment license at the meeting.

""I feel very strongly that management needs to be responsible for our guests,"" Fichtner said.

According to Fichtner, a 21+ entertainment license was also chosen because the venue does not need special entertainment events to drive business. The venue has an established crowd, especially graduate students and young professionals, whom they wish to keep catering to, Fichtner said.