Top Ten: Madison's most influential figures- Number 1: Mayor Dave Cieslewicz

Let's face it, Madison just wouldn't be the same without our old pal Mayor Dave. Whether he's busy biking with Lance Armstrong or adding a new post to his blog, Cieslewicz has found a way to connect with the liberal Madison crowd he serves. His reputation as a cool-headed leader stems from practical budget proposals and a strong commitment to neighborhood development.

But it's not all leaf collectors and bike boxes for Mayor Dave. As of late, he's trended more and more toward the political center. His heavy emphasis on capital investment is a tough sell in times of economic hardship, but Cieslewicz has proven to be a good salesman. Between plans for a $98 million Edgewater hotel renovation and a completely revamped Central Library, Cieslewicz has shown he's willing to spend the big bucks to make Madison more mainstream.

Yet it seems his biggest financial test still awaits him. With only a few weeks remaining to settle the Overture Center's $29 million debt, the city is scrambling to find a solution before the performing arts center threatens to ""go dark."" After several proposals ranging from city ownership to a multi-million dollar subsidy failed to find approval, Mayor Dave and the Common Council are under growing pressure to come up with a plan to save the Overture. 

And although a Republican takeover of the Governor's office and Wisconsin legislature has threatened to put an end to high-speed rail in Madison, we were always proud to have such a staunch supporter of smart transit. Cieslewicz knows what investing in infrastructure means for our city and the entire state of Wisconsin. 

We'll see how much staying power Mayor Dave has as he battles for reelection next year. Cieslewicz announced earlier this week that he will seek a third term as Madison mayor and if all goes well, that might mean another opportunity to hold the title of Madison's most influential.

—Dan Tollefson