The Top 10 News Stories of 2010

Obama_2

The Top 10 News Stories of 2010

No. 1 Obama rallies on campus, but fails to save Wisconsin Democrats

Over 26,500 people waited over three hours Sept. 28 to witness the first presidential visit to the UW-Madison campus in nearly 60 years.

Obama's visit marked the beginning of a campaign run to save the Democrats from Republican nationwide momentum. Although the ""Moving America Forward"" rally drew mass student support, it could not prevent the GOP from taking the governorship, U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold's seat and the state Legislature.

Feingold, congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisconsin, and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett also attended the event, along with musical acts Mama Digdown's Brass Band, Ben Harper and The National.

Although Obama vouched for the student vote and attempted to dispel the idea of ""enthusiasm gap,"" he acknowledged people in Madison and across the country were restless for change.

""I understand that people are frustrated,"" Obama said. ""I understand that people are impatient with the pace of change. Of course they are. But I also know this: now is not the time to lose heart. Now is not the time to give up. We do not quit, and we cannot forget that this nation has been through far worse.""

—Ariel Shapiro

2. Political newcomer trounces Wisconsin legend

Big business faced off against big government in one of the most unexpectedly monumental races of the election season.

Oshkosh businessman and Senator-elect Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin, went toe to toe with 18-year incumbent Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wisconsin, on issues as critical as drilling in the Great Lakes and as trivial as the ramifications of sunspots.

For many, the Wisconsin upset represented Democrats' ""shellacking"" by Tea Party activists during the midterm elections. Feingold's maverick reputation and repeated willingness to defy the Democratic establishment didn't stop his reelection campaign from being swallowed up in a national trend.

""I don't believe this election is about details,"" Johnson said.  ""I really don't.""

An election focused on limiting government spending and debt cost a record-shattering $27 million for Johnson, according to OpenSecrets.org.

The final tally showed Johnson defeating Feingold with 52.5 percent of the vote.  Many saw the results as a repudiation of President Obama, who won the state by 14 points in 2008.

Feingold, however, vowed not to let election results stand in the way of Wisconsin's progress.

""It's on to the next battle,"" Feingold said.  ""It's on to 2012.  And, it is on to our next adventure. Forward!""

Patrick Tricker

3. Walker wins big, Republicans take the Legislature

Republicans won big in the 2010 midterm elections, gaining control of the governorship and the State Legislature.

After winning a contentious primary race against former congressman Mark Neumann,  Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker claimed victory over Democratic candidate Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett with 52 percent of the vote.

Walker has already requested that Gov. Jim Doyle halts state worker contract negotiations, and has promised to stop the proposed high-speed rail line between Milwaukee and Madison, resulting in Doyle stalling the project.

In the State Senate, Republicans were able to overtake the Democratic majority, and will have 19 seats to the Democrats' 14 in the next Senate session.

Republicans will also take over the majority in the State Assembly with 60 seats.

The incoming Majority Leader in the Senate and the Speaker of the Assembly will be brothers state Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, and state Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau. Scott has been a member of the Senate since 1994, while Jeff has been in the Assembly since 2000. Both have served as Majority and Minority leader in the past.

Scott Girard

4. High-speed rail in turmoil  during Gov. transition

Although Wisconsin received over $822 million dollars in federal stimulus money in 2010 to build a high-speed rail line between Madison and Milwaukee, the future of the project is uncertain.

The planned line would be an extension of the line already running from Chicago to Milwaukee, and, ultimately the planners would like the line to run from Chicago to St. Paul, Minn.

Governor Jim Doyle has been a strong supporter of the proposal, saying it would create much needed jobs, including 55 permanent ones and many temporary jobs during the construction period.

That, however, is where the good news seems to end for rail supporters.

Construction was halted on the project Nov. 3, after Republican Governor-elect Scott Walker won the election. Walker said repeatedly during his campaign he would find a way to stop the construction of the train and look for other ways for Wisconsin to use the money, such as road reconstruction.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has said the money cannot be used for any other purpose, and other states, including New York and North Carolina, have put in requests to the federal government to obtain the money if it is not used by Wisconsin.

Scott Girard

5. City to determine future of the Overture Center for the Arts

The battle over the future of the Overture Center for the Arts has continued to make headlines since Mayor DaveCieslewicz first announced the city should take ownership of the building in June.

City officials have held meetings and done research in an attempt to find a solution that works best for eliminating the center's remaining $28 million debt. In one of the many attempts, the city hired an independent consultant for the Overture Center to determine the best model for the center.

Several models outlining how the Overture should be operated have been proposed. The first model proposed the city of Madison should purchase the Overture Center and have a private non-profit operate the center. Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, proposed an alternative model comprising a completely private operation of the center. The second alternative model would have the Madison Cultural Arts District as the owner and operator of the performing arts center.

The City Council is set to make a final decision Dec. 14.

—Maggie DeGroot

6. SSFC denies WISPIRG funds, pushes for Campus Services Fund

Between being brought before the Student Judiciary and seeing the proposed Campus Services Fund all but defeated, it's safe to say the Student Services Finance Committee had a busy semester.

As the committee overseeing student group funding approval, the SSFC was brought before the SJ in November after denying eligibility to the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group.

Although the SSFC said WISPIRG was not in accordance with an eligibility bylaw, stating at least 75 percent of a group's direct beneficiaries must be students, the SJ ruled the committee had unfairly interpreted this bylaw and must rehear WISPIRG's funding appeal in the spring.

SSFC Chair Matt Manes was dealt an additional blow when the proposed CSF—which would guarantee funding for student services deemed ""necessary"" by the Associated Students of Madison Student Council—was blocked after going to ASM for approval, relegating the fund to a rules committee for further discussion.

Alison Bauter

7. Calumet Co. DA ‘sexts' abuse victim, resigns in shame

Former Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz made headlines this fall for ""sexting"" Stephanie Van Groll, an abuse victim he represented.

""I would want you to be so hot and treat me so well that you'd be THE woman! R U that good?"" Kratz said in one of the text messages.

Kratz was also accused of abusing his position by bringing a woman on a date to an autopsy. A letter from Kratz's autopsy date, whose name was withheld, said he requested she come to the autopsy ""provided I would be his girlfriend and wear high heels and a skirt.""

Kratz resigned from his position two months ago after the allegations of sexual harassment surfaced against him.

Gov. Jim Doyle selected assistant Manitowoc County District Attorney Jerilyn Dietz to replace Kratz. The UW-Madison alumna will begin her term Dec. 19.

Maggie DeGroot

8. Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery opens, unions protest privatization of food services

The Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery opened Dec. 1 amidst protests from the Local 171 branch of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees and the Student Labor Action Coalition.

Spanning the entire block from Campus Drive to Randall, the WID houses integrative research laboratories, public meetings spaces, shops and restaurants.

While many laud the institute's innovative, energy-efficient design and commitment to ideals of scientific collaboration, Local 171 and SLAC have been protesting the institute since the beginning of the school year.

The groups began protesting while the WID was still under construction in September, fighting against the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation's decision to privatize food service employment in the building.

During the WID's grand opening ceremony, protestors interrupted speakers multiple times until the protestors were escorted and barred from the building by police.

—Alison Bauter

9. UW-Madison student arrested for mother's alleged murder

UW-Madison student and Iraq War veteran Chase Boruch was arrested Nov. 29 for allegedly murdering his mother.

The criminal complaint states Boruch was with his mother, 63-year-old Sally Pergolski, in their truck when it drove into Lake Moraine June 6.

Boruch told police he was able to escape from the vehicle, then pull his mother from the sinking truck and dialed 911.

Lincoln County Deputy Jeff Jaeger arrived on the scene and found Pergolski face down on the shoreline. He was unable to resuscitate her.

Jaeger said police issued a warrant for Boruch after discovering he had taken out over $800,000 in life insurance policies for his mother a month before the accident.

Jaeger also said the autopsy report stated Pergolski suffered a brain injury at least two hours before police were notified.

Boruch is currently being held on a $2 million bond at the Lincoln County jail on charges of First Degree Intentional Homicide.

Before enrolling at UW-Madison, Boruch attended UW-Marathon County in Wausau.

Kayla Johnson

10. MTV ‘College Life' star faces $86,000 in party fines

Former MTV ""College Life"" participant Kevin Tracy and his two roommates faced up to $86,000 in fines for a house party they threw Sept. 11.

Each defendant was cited with 21 counts of procuring alcohol to an underage person, one count of dispensing alcohol without a permit and 21 counts of an adult encouraging underage alcohol consumption, according to a police report.

Although Mitchell Klatt, one of the students facing the fines, said the roommates only had 75 to100 people at their that night, the police report states there were approximately 200 people in attendance.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he believes the police were making an example of the students and the charges will lowered.

—Kayla Johnson