SSFC holds second town hall to discuss ASM funding streams

The Student Service Finance Committee continued its discussion of the Associated Students of Madison funding streams during its second and final town hall  meeting Thursday.

Presiding in the absence of SSFC Chair Matt Manes, Secretary Jason Smathers said the meeting's goal was to examine issues brought up during Monday's meeting and to find different routes to make eligibility and budget application processes a ""little bit more fair and equitable.""

Around 20 students and group leaders joined six of SSFC's members to field questions and offer suggestions about issues including criteria, communications, accountability and the funding application process.

Secretary Smathers proposed a transformation of a ""problematic and burdensome"" eligibility process.

Smathers' proposed alternative would replace the current reapplication process with biannual accountability audits for groups who had proven their eligibility.""The application process right now is brutal,"" said Smathers. ""A biannual audit system would switch the burden from groups to [the SSFC].""

The committee also addressed criteria for funding events and for defining direct service beneficiaries which is currently an issue of contention in the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group's ongoing eligibility appeal.

WISPIRG Secretary Allie Gardner, who attended both meetings, said she liked how students, SSFC and ASM members worked together at the town halls.

""I think it's a good start,"" Gardner said. ""I hope it will continue through this semester and next semester and next year.""

The SSFC will meet Monday to begin internal budget reviews.