Monona robbery ends in suspect's shooting

The UW Credit Union in Monona was the site of a kidnapping and robbery Wednesday, resulting in the suspect being shot after ramming into a cop car.

The incident occurred around 2 P.M., according to a witness cited in the Wisconsin State Journal.

""The vehicle rammed head-on into one of our police cars and shots were fired,"" Monona Police Lt. Sara Deuman said in a video on Madison.com.

According to Deuman, the suspect was shot and taken to a hospital, and the police were unsure of his condition at the time of the video.

Police believe the suspect was attempting to take money from the victim's bank account.

""We've learned at this point that the victim was taken at gunpoint from an unknown location somewhere in the Madison Metropolitan area,"" Deuman said in the video.

The streets in the area of the Credit Union and the shopping mall were also closed by police.

""The Monona Police Department is at our Monona UW Credit Union branch responding to an incident that occurred at our drive- up. The Monona branch location has been closed for the day and is expected to reopen Thursday at regular business hours. We have no additional comments to share at this time,"" the UW Credit Union said in a statement to the WSJ.