It's official: Badgers headed to Pasadena

tolzien: The season?s final BCS rankings made certain what many have expected: Quarterback Scott Tolzien and the Wisconsin football team will play in the Rose Bowl Jan. 1.

Fans have anticipated the announcement since Wisconsin beat Northwestern 70-23 Nov. 27, but now they know for sure: The Badgers are going to the Rose Bowl.

With the release of the final BCS rankings Sunday evening, UW solidified its spot as the Big Ten's automatic qualifier. At No. 5 in the BCS, Wisconsin is ranked ahead of both Ohio State (No. 6) and Michigan State (No. 9), the teams it was tied with atop the Big Ten standings.

""To have this opportunity and to be able to take these guys out there and experience everything that goes into the Rose Bowl—one of the most prestigious places in college football—will be very, very unique,"" head coach Bret Bielema said.

The trip to Pasadena is the first for Wisconsin since winning back-to-back Rose Bowls in 1999 and 2000.

Tickets for the game went on sale to student season ticket holders at 9 p.m. Sunday night on uwbadgers.com. By 9:20, the website was telling visitors all of the school's tickets were sold out.

The Badgers will face No. 3 Texas Christian University, which finished its regular season a perfect 12-0 for the second consecutive year. Despite the unblemished record, the Horned Frogs did not muster enough support from voters to earn a spot in the BCS National Championship game. That game will feature the only other two undefeated teams in the country, No. 1 Auburn and No. 2 Oregon.

""I know a lot of people are going to say TCU should be in that National Championship game,"" Bielema said. ""The way it all works, they're not and now we get to play them. It's our own little national championship game.""

Senior quarterback Scott Tolzien said he got some advice from UW Athletic Director Barry Alvarez—who coached the Badgers to three Rose Bowl titles—on what to expect come Jan. 1.

""It's important, when you take that field that you do take it in because you only live once and it is a special moment,"" Tolzien said.

The volume of Wisconsin fans at the three Alvarez Rose Bowl titles—in 1994, 1999 and 2000—caused many to refer to the Rose Bowl as Camp Randall West. Senior strong safety Jay Valai expects a similar atmosphere this year.

""Wisconsin is going to travel well,"" Valai said. ""Hopefully that whole stadium is red just like every other year I've seen the [Badgers in the] Rose Bowl.""