Doyle appoints abuse victim to replace 'sexting' D.A. Kratz

Gov. Jim Doyle selected Jerilyn Dietz, a former crime victim and assistant Manitowoc County District Attorney, to replace infamous ""sexting"" Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz Friday.

""Calumet County has been through a difficult period,"" Doyle said in a statement. ""Jerilyn Dietz is a strong prosecutor who will restore the community's faith in the District Attorney's office and ensure that victims of crime know they have a strong advocate on their side.""

Kratz resigned from his position two months ago after several allegations of sexual harassment surfaced against him, including one from Stephanie Van Groll, a domestic abuse victim he once represented.

""When I saw what the women of Calumet County were facing from the person sworn to protect them—when I saw a District Attorney victimizing women—I knew I had to apply for this position to restore faith in this office and find justice for other survivors,"" Dietz said in a statement.

The Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault praised the appointment, saying Dietz has the experience and sensitivity necessary to take on the job.

""While this doesn't bring closure to the matter of Ken Kratz's actions during his tenure as D.A., we are very supportive of this next step,"" the WCASA said in a statement.

Dietz, a UW-Madison alumna, will begin her term Dec. 19 and serve through January of 2013.

""I am humbled by Governor Doyle's trust, and I promise to serve the people of Calumet County with every ounce of energy I have,"" Dietz said.