Council unable to decide Overture's fate

Madison's Common Council debated into the early hours of Wednesday on the future of the Overture Center.

Council members deliberated three different models proposed for the ownership and operation of the Overture Center.

The first model, which was announced in June, comprises of city ownership and private operation. Under this model, the city would purchase the building for $1 and assume some maintenance costs and responsibilities. A separate non-profit entity would oversee the operation of the center.

The private model plan states the Overture could have ownership under the private Overture Development Corporation or 201 State Foundation, the proposed non-profit operator of the Overture Center.

The most recent alternative model, proposed by Alders Chris Schmidt, Dist. 11, and Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, Dist. 5, would place the Madison Cultural Arts District as the owner and operator of the Overture Center. This model would also establish a commitment for the city to support the center at $2 million per year starting in 2012.

Former Mayor Paul Soglin said none of the three proposed models bring closure to the issue with Overture. Soglin said the major concern is the issue of the Overture Center's revenue, not one of cost.

Local arts consultant Mary Berryman Agard said none of the options sounded perfect because there is risk in all of them.

""Frankly I don't think you have in front of you any model that I would have confidence in to endorse as a long term solution,"" Agard said.

After many hours of questioning and debate, some council members became visibly agitated.

""I have never been more embarrassed of us than I am tonight,"" Ald. Julia Kerr, Dist. 13, said. ""I am at my wits end.""

Common Council President Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, made a motion to recess immediately and reconvene as a committee of the whole, where council members are able to speak freely. The council members made recommendations to the entire council.

At this time, Ald. Brian Solomon, Dist. 10, said there isn't any other option other than the need for more time, with others adding the issue is too important to be rushed.

""This issue is bigger than Overture … [it] goes to the fundamental basics of democracy,"" Soglin said.

Deliberations were not over as of press time.