WPRI poll shows little support for rail

Conservative polling group Wisconsin Polling Research Institute released findings Sunday that indicate the majority of Wisconsinites do not support the high speed rail project.

WPRI found that 52 percent of the 615 residents polled opposed the construction of the high-speed rail line, and 36 percent were in favor of it.

""High speed rail breaks down along partisan lines,"" said UW-Madison political science professor and WPRI consultant Ken Goldstein in a statement. ""In the initial question, a slim majority of Democrats supported the train project, but over 75 percent of Republicans opposed it.""

Goldstein also said after receiving more information on the project, republicans remained against it and Independents and Democrats swayed further to the opposition.

The WPRI poll also found that only one percent of those surveyed thought that stopping the train should be the top priority for the state government, and another one percent thought encouraging the train should be most important.

WPRI and Goldstein came under controversy last March when they were accused by One Wisconsin Now, a liberal advocacy group, of manipulating data in their polls to serve corporate interests. However, as Goldstein noted, nothing ever became of the accusations.

Goldstein said just as with the poll from March, all the information from the poll and the methodology of how it is conducted are publically released.

Although Governor-elect Scott Walker has indicated multiple times that the high-speed rail project in Wisconsin will not move forward, people around the state Sunday rallied to keep the project alive, with hundreds attending rallies in Madison, Milwaukee and Oshkosh, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.