Walker asks state lawmakers to halt work on labor deals

Governor-elect Scott Walker wrote to state lawmakers Monday asking that they halt proceedings with labor contracts two weeks after his similar request to Gov. Jim Doyle was thwarted.

Legislators are scheduled to hold a special session to handle state union contracts before the end of the year.

Walker said in his letter that because of the massive state deficit and budget shortfall, ""returning and newly elected officials are going to need maximum flexibility to craft an work through our current and next state budget.""

He also said any actions taken by the Legislature now will result in more spending cuts once he and the newly elected, Republican-controlled legislature take office in January.

Incoming Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, called on Democrats in a statement to at least release the details of their plans for labor contracts.

""When you're in a hole, like Wisconsin is right now, everyone knows you have to stop digging. But right now we can't even see how deep this hole is going to get,"" Fitzgerald said.

State Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, said in a statement these labor contracts are long overdue.

""Republicans are attempting to make something nefarious out of the workers' contracts, but these workers have been dutifully performing their jobs every day for 18 months, without a contract, based on money that has already been budgeted,"" Parisi said.

Walker's original request to Doyle two weeks ago drew ire from union leaders statewide. Executive Director of the Wisconsin State Employees Union Marty Beil said in a statement ""If he wants to fight, we are not afraid to fight.""

Walker also requested that Doyle halt construction on the new Charter Street Power Plant and refrain from making any new permanent hires or administration rules.