UW takes on Purdue fresh off bye week

watt: J.J. Watt will represent the Badgers in a showdown of talented pass rushers. Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan leads the Big Ten with 7.5 sacks.

UW takes on Purdue fresh off bye week

When No. 7 Wisconsin (3-1 Big Ten, 7-1 overall) returns from a bye week for Saturday's conference rumble against Purdue (2-2, 4-4), the buzz that accompanied each of the Badgers' last two games may not be as pronounced.

At least one common thread should carry from Iowa City to West Lafayette, Ind., though: If the Badgers are to keep their title hopes alive, they will have to contain a very talented defensive line.

On a team ravaged by injuries this year, the Boilermakers' defensive front has managed to stay healthy and productive. Purdue enters Saturday's game leading the conference in team sacks with 24—Michigan State is second with just 18—and tackles for loss. The unit is led by senior defensive end Ryan Kerrigan, a Lombardi Trophy finalist who certainly has the Badgers' attention.

""I knew coming into the season that these three games, Ohio State, Iowa, and Purdue were going to be my top three games,"" said senior left tackle Gabe Carimi, who will likely be charged with containing the Big Ten's sack leader. ""Even though Purdue isn't the best on the schedule, I knew those were going to be my top three.""

Not far behind Kerrigan's Big Ten-best 7.5 sacks is Boilermaker sophomore defensive tackle Kawann Short, who is currently third with 6.0.

If the Badgers are equipped to handle anything, though, it is a stout defensive front. Behind an offensive line that averages over 6'5"" and 320 pounds, Wisconsin is averaging 221.4 rushing yards per game and has allowed just six sacks all season. The battle between Carimi and Kerrigan will draw NFL scouts, but for UW's between-the-tackles style, the interior matchups will be equally important.

""With Purdue, their inside guys are young … but they're still pretty good,"" sophomore center Peter Konz said. It's kind of a fun mind battle you have.""

Junior running back John Clay—who is second in the Big Ten in rushing yards with 887 and leads the league with 13 touchdowns—may share carries with sophomore Montee Ball instead of dynamic freshman James White this week, as White likely will be held out after injuring his knee Oct. 23 against Iowa.

On offense, Purdue will also rely on a productive running game, but instead of size and power they will try to utilize speed and space. The Boilermakers' offense was decimated following season-ending injuries to junior quarterback Robert Marve, junior running back Ralph Bolden and senior wide receiver Keith Smith. As a result, true freshman quarterback Sean Robinson will likely lead an offense that currently ranks last in the Big Ten in total offense (311.5 yards per game), scoring offense (18.1 points per game), passing offense (137.9 ypg) and turnover margin (-3).

""If you're a true freshman quarterback playing in the Big Ten, we need to get pressure on you,"" junior defensive end J.J. Watt said. ""He's done a good job so far for them but we just need to rattle him and kind of welcome him to Big Ten football.""