'Saw' your eyes out before seeing this

Saw 3D: Sean Patrick Flanery stars as an inspirational speaker in ""Saw 3D."" Unfortunately, there's nothing inspiring about his performance.

'Saw' your eyes out before seeing this

I have never walked out of a movie before. Generally, two hours spent watching the most poorly made movie is a more pleasant experience than the best two hours spent wasting time at home. In order for me to even consider abandoning the theater, a movie would need to transcend badness and connect with me on a truly offensive level. That is the situation I ran into with ""Saw 3D,"" a movie I would have skipped out on without regret had I not been bound by my movie critic duties.

It provides a nice display of blood and gore to open the movie, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the events that transpire in the rest of the film. The sequence exists solely to give the audience some sadistic glee at seeing a pretty little harlot filleted in horrific fashion. And therein lies the fatal flaw of the entirety of ""Saw 3D"": Moreso than any other horror film I can think of, it is just shallow, pointless sadism.

As with all the ""Saw"" films since the rather decent original, the plot takes a backseat to the Rube Goldberg-style death traps. All that is important is that the current Jigsaw killer (Costas Mandylor) is back on his intricate killing spree, and this time it revolves around an inspirational speaker (Sean Patrick Flanery) who falsely claims to have survived a Jigsaw trap. There is some extra filler about the current Jigsaw wanting revenge on the original Jigsaw's wife (Betsy Russell), as well as an obligatory police detective (Chad Donella) on the hunt for Jigsaw, but there's no real need to invest much interest, because right off the bat the audience knows most of these characters will die gruesome deaths before the credits roll. In fact, director Kevin Greutert and screenwriters Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan seem to be under the impression that the easiest way to wrap up the series' loose ends is just to kill a lot of people.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with death in a horror movie. High body counts have been a horror movie staple for years. Granted, many of the best horror films, such as ""Halloween"" or ""The Shining,"" tend to keep their death counts small so every death matters. But nevertheless, the volume of the blood bath is not the problem in ""Saw 3D,"" the tone is.

""Saw 3D"" offers nothing in the way of redemption for its characters, no matter how often it is mentioned by the little Jigsaw puppet. It would be easy to say it offers up no sense of catharsis either, but that wouldn't be true. It simply offers up a sick and twisted version of catharsis, where the healing comes from seeing someone's head split open or another person's eyes get stabbed. Nor does ""Saw 3D"" offer anything in terms of suspense or thrills leading up to its gruesome deaths, which is where classic horror films earn their glory. Even the 3-D aspect is boring, as it barely factors into the look of the film at all. The sole motivating factor to watch ""Saw 3D"" is to see complete brutality thrust upon others. That is not a movie. That is a snuff film.

Hopefully this truly will be the final ""Saw"" film, though I have my doubts. Bringing back Cary Elwes from the first film as a throwback/deus ex machina opens up the series to further sequels should Lionsgate be jonesing for money next year. And the obligatory reboot is probably just ten years down the road. But at least until then, moviegoers will no longer need to avoid the sick trap that is ""Saw.""