Nagy uses versatility to fit in whenever needed on UW O-line

nagy: Senior offensive lineman Bill Nagy (76) will likely start at center in place of sophomore Peter Konz. Nagy has played at three positions this year and is part of a gound game averaging 216.0 yards per game.

A year ago, senior offensive lineman Bill Nagy played in just three games.What a difference one season can make.

Not only has Nagy started all but one of Wisconsin's nine games so far, he has played three different positions in the process.

After starting the first four games at right guard, junior Kevin Zietler took over the job. Nagy's workload did not end with the lost spot though, as Wisconsin debuted a jumbo package that included the Hudson, Ohio native lined up at tight end, No. 89 jersey and all. A week later against Ohio State, the Badgers opened in the same formation and bludgeoned the Buckeyes with it.

Nagy's time at tight end did not last long, however, as an injury to sophomore center Peter Konz forced him into his first career snaps at center at halftime in Iowa City on Oct. 23. After Konz aggravated  the same injury last week against Purdue, Nagy is poised to make his first start at center Saturday against Indiana.

Teammates and coaches alike have taken notice of this jack-of-all-trades act, a perfect living example of UW's next-man-in philosophy.

""Number one is he's willing to do it,"" offensive line coach Bob Bostad said. ""He's an active learner, spends a lot of time studying film and for us he's a good football player. You want to get good football players on the field.""

Senior left guard John Moffitt may have been the logical choice to replace Konz in the middle—he has fifteen career starts at center for the Badgers—but that would have opened another position to fill, so Nagy jumped in.

""His focus is right on and that's what you need to do and that's how you have success,"" Moffitt said. ""The example he's put forward is just awesome for the young guys. It's pretty special.""  

For as seamless as Nagy makes the transition look, it has not come without a steep learning curve. Guard and center are similar positions in terms of assignments and style in Wisconsin's system, but playing tight end takes a different mind set.

""With the tight end position I have to listen to the whole formation,"" Nagy said. ""I'm usually kind of tuned out to that a little bit, but that's helped me understand the game better.""

While depth along the offensive line is not a problem for the Badgers, the willingness and ability of Nagy to fill in at center helps preserve organizational depth beyond this year. Sophomore center Travis Frederick started four games last year, including two at center, but did not win a starting spot during fall camp and opted to take a redshirt this season. Thanks to the program's depth, and the versatility of Nagy, that redshirt can be kept and Frederick does not have to be forced into action late in the season.

""We have a lot of guys that can play. Just coming into the season in the weight room and seeing all the guys develop,"" Nagy said, rattling off the names of Frederick and redshirt freshmen Ryan Groy and Zac Matthias and Casey Dehn. ""That just says a lot about coach [Bostad] and how good of a coach he is.""

While the young players can look to Nagy's willingness to play multiple positions as inspiration, the veterans might just be happy that he is not playing tight end any longer.

""When Billy signs autographs, I think he probably signs it number 89 and not 76,"" Konz said with a laugh last week. ""He thinks it's going to help him with the ladies.""

Nagy addmitted he liked the tight end jersey, saying the number formally worn by stand-out Garrett Graham had certain advantages.

""I think it slims me down a little bit, that's what I've been told at least,"" he said smiling. ""I think I look a little faster.""

Fast or not, unselfish play like that from Nagy is a big reason why the Badgers are 8-1 and squarely in the middle of the Bowl Championship Series conversation.