Doyle breaks ground on Wisconsin Energy Institute

Gov. Jim Doyle broke ground Wednesday on the Wisconsin Energy Institute, a new center aiming to support collaboration between energy researchers at UW-Madison.

Doyle said in a statement he looks forward to the economic and environmental potential of the WEI, which received $50 million in state funding.

""Capturing even a fraction of the $16 billion our state spends on energy each year would mean billions of dollars in economic growth and job creation,"" Doyle said. ""That's why we've been really focused on building on our strengths in research, innovation and business to create real jobs in the clean energy economy.""

Chancellor Biddy Martin, UW College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Dean Molly Jahn and UW College of Engineering Dean Paul Peercy also attended the event.

The WEI, which will be located at the site of the former University Health Building and current Breese Terrace Union, will be built with sustainability in mind and a goal of a 50 percent reduction in energy usage.

""It's really great to break ground on the Wisconsin Energy Institute and start a new chapter in the state's clean energy leadership,"" Doyle said in the statement.

—Ariel Shapiro