Delving into The Daily Cardinal's History

SLAC wants UW clothing worker wages public

By: Emily Winter

An advisory committee to Chancellor John Wiley, the Labor Licensing Committee, unanimously decided Friday to recommend Wiley force all UW-Madison licensees to disclose the wages they pay their workers.

The Student Labor Action Coalition has been meeting with the LLC this semester to push for wage disclosure, which would require companies making UW-Madison apparel to report to the university the exact salaries they pay employees worldwide. SLAC members said they felt now is an appropriate time to make such a request because UW-Madison may add Nike, which has had a history of problems with employee treatment, as a licensee.

According to Liana Dalton, SLAC and LLC member and UW-Madison sophomore, the LLC will present its proposal to Wiley this week for the final decision.

Though Wiley still must approve the LLC's recommendation, Dalton and other SLAC members said they are optimistic about his impending decision.

‘Since it was unanimous and this is a committee that was set up to advise him and he takes the advice seriously, I think that he will do it,' said Samantha Ashley, SLAC member and UW-Madison senior.

To raise awareness about the necessity of wage disclosure, SLAC hosted a banner drop on Bascom Hill and Library Mall Friday, Dalton said.

It's Axe-tinguished—Axe to be sent to Hall of Fame

—Compiled from staff reports

The University of Wisconsin and the University of Minnesota announced that the Paul Bunyan Axe, the trophy awarded annually to the victor of the Wisconsin Badgers-Minnesota Golden Gophers football game, will be displayed at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind.

The axe was the first awarded in 1948 to the Gophers after The National W Club created the trophy specifically for the heated border rivalry.

The axe will be sent with a helmet from each school, and Wisconsin is also sending the game football from the 1918 game.

‘It certainly seemed appropriate to help protect the future of the trophy by creating more space for future scores and making it more durable,' said Wisconsin Athletic Director Pat Richter.

It was reported that one of the reasons the axe was sent to the College Football Hall of Fame was because it started to become less durable after post-game cbrations by winning teams. The stability combined with the need to add more scores was the reason for creating a second axe in 2000.

UW and Minnesota have played 113 games versus each other, the longest rivalry in Division I-A football.