CWC, SPILL budgets approved

SSFC: The Student Services Finance Committee approved the budgets for Campus Women?s Center, Supporting Peers in Laid-Back Listening and Adventure Learning Programs at their meeting Thursday night.

CWC, SPILL budgets approved

The Student Services Finance Committee voted Thursday to decrease funding for Supporting Peers in Laid-back Listening, while increasing budgets for the Campus Women's Center and Adventure Learning Programs.

The committee also heard budget proposals from Sex Out Loud, the Working Class Student Union and Badger Catholic.

Peer-based support group SPILL's budget was passed at $52,317 with a cut of $1,600 from the group's advertising budget.

Team-building organization ALPs' proposed budget was approved at $147,835.

The SSFC made major cuts were made to the CWC's budget and funding for its multicultural arts and literature magazine, Women in REDzine. The CWC received a budget of $100,048, which was $17,454 less than its original proposal.

According to CWC Publications Coordinator Erika Dickerson, cutting funding would ""silence"" the women REDzine gives a voice to.

But SSFC members ruled the magazine did not constitute a direct student service. The committee moved to cut a total of $11,454, which removed funding for both the magazine and the publications coordinator position.

Sex Out Loud, a group that promotes healthy sexuality through education and activism, requested a 7 percent budget decrease to $86,172.

Sex Out Loud Project Coordinator Ashley Chase said the decrease came from consolidating the group's multiple lines of supply funding into one.

WCSU, a group that advocates and educates on behalf of working-class, first-generation and other non-traditional college students, requested a budget decrease of $2,190, from $57,639 to $55,449.

Badger Catholic also requested a budget decrease after returning $20,000 in unused student fees to the SSFC from the 2009-'10 school year. The campus religious group requested $123,567 for the 2011-'12 fiscal year.

The SSFC will vote on Badger Catholic, WCSU and Sex Out Loud's budgets Monday. They will also hear a budget proposal from the Multicultural Student Coalition.