Committee nominates new UW-Extension and UW Colleges chancellor

The UW-Extension and UW Colleges may receive a new chancellor after the UW Board of Regents announced their recommendation Friday.

Members of the UW Board of Regents special committee chose Raymond Cross, president of Morrisville State College in N.Y., as the new chancellor pending final Board approval.

Cross has been president of Morrisville State College since 1998, an agriculture and technology college of 3,500 students.

Cross also served as president of Northwestern Technical College in Bemiji, Minn., from 1992 to 1998 and was a professor and department head at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mich.

Cross would succeed David Wilson, who resigned his role as chancellor to become president of Morgan State University in Maryland in June.

Cross was one of six candidates in the search, in which the UW-System said it sought a candidate with integrity, communication skills and leadership.

""His experience with the agriculture industry, distance learning, and economic development are clear evidence that he's already embraced the Wisconsin Idea, even before moving here,"" UW-System President Kevin Reilly said in a statement.

Officials will discuss Cross' appointment at the Board of Regents meeting Dec. 10 at UW-Madison. If approved by the Board of Regents, Cross would start his role in February 2011.