Committee finds proposed size of Catholic center too big

Catholic: Father Eric Nielsen spoke in front of the Madison Landmarks Commission to promote proposed plans to renovåate the St. Paul Catholic Student Center and Residential College.

The Madison Landmarks Commission discussed how the proposed plans for the St. Paul Catholic Student Center and Residential College could potentially affect Pres House, a 103-year-old campus Presbyterian chapel and Madison historic landmark.

The committee said Monday it was concerned the scale and height of the new building would be out of context amid the smaller structures in the area.

""Its size and mass, in my opinion, have an adverse effect on the historic character of the adjacent landmark,"" committee chair Daniel Stephans said. ""It comes down to the height, is what it amounts to.""

Although the committee members were positive about the building's design, the appeal of the architectural plan was not enough to alleviate committee members' concerns about the building's size.

""I think it's a beautiful, beautiful building … but it dwarfs the other buildings,"" committee member Robin Taylor said.

Architect Matthew Alderman said the simple design of the building's side could create a ""backdrop"" for Pres House.

""I think the architecture is a good citizen,"" Alderman said. ""It responds well to its civic environment.""

Father Eric Nielsen, St. Paul's director, said the current facilities are no longer adequate to house the Catholic center's activities. He said the center needs a warmer, more inviting and traditional space to appeal to students.

""Students that are coming to the university now find [the existing center's architecture] cold and iconoclastic; they're looking for something that reminds them a little bit more of the church they go to at home,"" Nielsen said. ""That's a prime motivator for us.""

The $45 million project would be a redevelopment of the current Catholic center at 723 State Street. The proposed 14-story, 10,000-square-foot space would serve a spot for social gatherings and would include a residence hall for up 200 people and a chapel that could seat up to 500 worshipers.

The Madison Urban Design Commission, Madison Planning Commission and Common Council must first approve the project. The Urban Design Commission will receive an informational presentation Nov. 10.