ASM holds first annual Madison student housing fair at Memorial Union

After a year of coordinating 45 different landlords, the Associated Students of Madison held the Madison First Annual Student Housing Fair Tuesday.

The event was held at Memorial Union and featured information on hundreds of different properties.

Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Sam Polstein said the event was informative about housing options and educational in terms of tenant law.

""The overall goal is to bring all these resources in one place where students can come and find out their rights as a tenant and find out about all these different properties they can rent,"" Polstein said.

Sophomore Trisha Horvath said the fair was a convenient way for busy students to find out about renting options.

""I'm pretty busy right now, and it is really nice to have everybody in one place instead of going to a million different websites to find out about properties,"" Horvath said.

Members of Student Tenant Education and Mediation attended the fair to answer leasing questions.

The newly formed organization provides student tenant education, problem resolution assistance and mediation.

Some attendees said they were surprised this was the first housing fair at UW-Madison.

""Housing fairs pretty much take place on all the other campuses around the state, so it is unusual that we don't have a housing fair,"" said Nancy Jensen, director of the Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin. ""It is a huge benefit for students to be able to come together and see lots of properties at one time.""