An early Christmas 'gift'

Her performance of the song ""I Dreamed a Dream,"" from Les Miserables, moved the crowd to tears, and at that moment Boyle's quaint little life was turned on its ugly head. Within days, her performance had gone viral on YouTube and she's been in the spotlight, at least to some degree, ever since.

Her debut album, I Dreamed a Dream, was comprised mostly of covers and Christian hymns, and achieved remarkable commercial success upon its release last November. The Gift, Boyle's latest endeavor, doesn't stray far from the formula of its predecessor with predominantly Christian, unoriginal material. 

The Gift kicks off with ""Perfect Day,"" a song originally written and performed by the legendary Lou Reed. The tempo of her rendition is about the same as the original, but Boyle adds a church-like twist with orchestral accompaniment and beautiful vocal delivery.

The second track, ""Hallelujah,"" is undoubtedly the album standout. Written by Leonard Cohen, ""Hallelujah"" opens with the powerful lyrics, ""I heard there was a secret chord / That David played and it saved the Lord / 

But you don't really care for music do you."" Accompanied by only a piano, stringed instruments and a back-up chorus for the song's refrain, Boyle strips the song down to its core. Much like the popular Jeff Buckley rendition, this song is driven by Boyle's vocals and stands as proof that her success is anything but a fluke.

Her interpretations of classic Christmas songs such as ""O Holy Night,"" ""Away In a Manger"" and ""Do You Hear What I Hear"" are slow and melodic, with a clear emphasis on her vocals. And while these songs are definitely enjoyable, fans looking for a more creative approach to Christmas music—such as the one Jimmy Buffett took on Christmas Island— should look elsewhere. And even if The Gift finds Boyle straying from traditional arrangements at times, she sticks to the basics for the most part. 

The album concludes with an a cappella version of ""O Come All Ye Faithful,"" a track that features solely Boyle's voice and a backing choir. Favoring light arrangements and an easy-listening vibe, this song—and the entire album—is one to be listened to during the holiday season while sipping on some cider.

The Gift is a Christmas album that can definitely be enjoyed by mass audiences, with Boyle proving once again that she can sing hymnals and folk songs very well. Unfortunately, the listener is left wondering what she can do beyond those contexts. Whether or not Boyle can provide anything beyond cover albums—and whether or not her career will ever reach the point it did with her ""Britain's Got Talent"" appearance—remains to be seen. But ultimately, the fact that she's had this opportunity in the music world is a gift in and of itself.