Zimmermann memorial 5K raises reward funds

zimmermann: Kevin and Jean Zimmermann, parents of slain UW-Madison student Brittany Zimmermann, congratulated finishers at the run.

Over 400 people braved the crisp fall weather by Lake Mendota for the Brittany Zimmermann Memorial 5K Run/Walk Saturday to remember the UW-Madison student and raise money for the investigation into her April, 2008, murder.

Around 9 a.m. participants lined up in front of the Memorial Union ready to race down Langdon Street and Park Street and compete for prizes given out to the top finishers.

UW-Madison Dean of Students Lori Berquam said she appreciates the participants for coming out to the event and showing their support. The family of Jordan Gonnering, Zimmermann's fiancé, were also present at the event, according to Berquam.

Zimmermann's parents, Kevin and Jean Zimmermann congratulated participants as they crossed the finish line. Jean Zimmermann, thanked those who came out for her daughter and the Madison Area Crime Stoppers.

In addition to many UW-Madison students, there were members of Madison-area law enforcement agencies at the event, according to Madison Police Chief Noble Wray.

""We will bring justice to the Zimmermann family,"" Wray said.

Race participants and UW-Madison students Katie Muratore and Leanne Britton were not in Madison at the time of the murder, but decided to run in support of the cause.

""It's a good cause and a good run,"" Britton said.

The event was a way to raise money and to celebrate Zimmermann's life. Half of the money raised through $20 entry fee will go toward a reward fund for information about Zimmermann's murder.

The other half will go towards funding for Madison Area Crime Stoppers. All money raised in future events will go to the Crime Stoppers organization.