Urban Design Commission approves plans for UW Ice Arena

The Urban Design Commission granted final approval for plans for a new UW Athletics Ice Hockey and Swimming Facility on the UW-Madison campus Wednesday.

Before approving the application, committee members said they had a few problems with the prospective building, which was designed by Jeff Piette of Kahler-Slater Architects. Certain committee members were concerned about the aesthetic appeal of the gray concrete exterior.

""The southwest façade is sterile … It's a very obtuse face—not welcoming, not engaging,"" committee member Todd Barnett said.

Committee members also said they were concerned about the building's parking and traffic circulation plan. The construction of this facility would require removal and relocation of some Kohl Center parking lots.

The committee was supportive of the facility concept and praised the architectural plan, recommending minor changes.

""The overall plan is well conceived, but there are some details that are left unresolved,"" Barnett said.

The new facility will be connected to the Southeast Recreational Facility through an enclosed bridge and will be adjacent to the Kohl Center. It will serve as a practice facility for the men's and women's hockey teams. It will also be home to the women's hockey team's home games.

Compared to the 15,000-seat arena at the Kohl Center they have used in the past, the new 2,400-seat arena will be a better and more intimate setting for the women's team to compete, Gary Brown, director of Campus Planning and Landscape Architecture at UW-Madison, said.

The new building will not be available for public or student use, according to Brown. However, the Camp Randall Memorial Sports Center, also known as the Shell, where the women's hockey team currently practices, would have more available ice facilities for public use once the team moves into the new space.

The plan will be up for approval at the Urban Planning Commission meeting Nov. 22.