SSFC postpones voting on endorsement for Campus Services Fund

The Student Services Finance Committee voted Monday to postpone endorsement of Chair Matt Manes' proposed Campus Services Fund until Thursday.

The CSF, part of Manes' strategic budget plan, would be a mechanism through which the Associated Students of Madison could guarantee funding for services it deems ""fundamental"" to the student body.

According to SSFC Secretary Jason Smathers, the committee postponed its endorsement because members did not want to rush.

""My concern at this point is purely one of making sure that people on the outside understand that we're not taking this lightly,"" Smathers said.

The SSFC opted to alter the proposal's language before voting on its endorsement.

ASM Legal Counsel Tyler Junger said the language should be changed from ""fundamental"" services to ""demonstrable and significant existing need.""

Junger, who proposed the change, said it would ensure that the General Student Services Fund would not duplicate services the CSF provides.

Despite the changes, some SSFC members expressed reservations.

""I feel like there are so many issues and holes,"" said Representative Aliyya Terry, who expressed concern over the proposal's prioritization of direct services over the groups themselves.

SSFC write-in candidate Rae Lymer said her concern was the marginalization of minority voices.

""My biggest concern is if we have this universal idea of direct services … funded by the CSF, minorities are automatically going to be counted out,"" Lymer said.  ""It's hard for the majority to think about minority voices.""

The SSFC will vote whether or not to endorse the CSF Thursday.