LGBTQ Center, Diversity Squad hold vigil for bullying victims

LGBTQ Vigil: Approximately 100 students and community members attended a glow-light vigil in honor of bullied LGBTQ students Wednesday.

Approximately 100 people attended a vigil on Library Mall Wednesday night in honor of LGBTQ students across the country who have been affected by bullying. The event was co-hosted by the LGBT Campus Center and the UW Housing Diversity Squad.

This vigil coincided with the national ""Wear Purple Day of Remembrance and Memorial"" and organized a moment of silence in honor of LGBTQ students who have committed suicide as a result of bullying and harassment.

Students and Madison residents were given the opportunity to speak and share personal bullying experiences they have had.

Many speakers stressed the importance that even a single supportive family member or friend had on their lives or on the lives of loved ones during struggles with bullying.

While several suicides have been publicized recently, LGBT Campus Center members said suicide from bullying is not a recent problem, adding this can only be solved by a nation-wide unification against harassment.

The vigil was held as part of UW-Madison's LGBTQ Stop the Silence yearlong anti-bullying campaign, which will feature events and educational programs to address the issue.

UW-Madison student Ashley Chalmers said it is important to support the LGBTQ anti- bullying campaign.

""I guess I just feel like this kind of equality is something that's so essential,"" Chalmers said. ""It's one of those things that I never even thought should be another way.""