Ethnic studies students discuss value of requirement

Ethnic studies panel: Ethnic studies students discussed how the ethnic studies requirement encourages cultural understanding Wednesday night.

UW-Madison students discussed the importance of the ethnic studies requirement in producing an informed student body at a student-run talk Wednesday as part of Ethnic Studies Week.

Students enrolled in Chicano and Latino studies, Afro-American studies, Asian-American studies and American-Indian studies courses attended the discussion.

Freshman Gaochia Sayaovang said the requirement ensures students are informed about different racial topics.

""I think that having a required class to learn about diversity is important. It will only benefit everyone to open up everyone's minds and make note that there's different people in this world,"" Sayaovang said.

Freshman Hue Vang agrees the requirement is important, especially at a school as large as UW-Madison.

""When I first took an ethnic studies course here, I learned of all these problems happening even twenty or thirty years ago, and to me it's a real eye-opener,"" Vang said.

Vang said the course he took to fulfill the requirement taught him that ethnicity is a more complicated issue than he once thought.

Students discussed their opinions about diversity trends around campus and the ethnic studies courses they were taking.

Sayaovang said the discussion gave her the opportunity to discuss the diversity of her culture with other students.

""Not every Asian person believes the same thing or has the same culture or lives the same life,"" Sayaovang said. ""Being able to sit around and discuss our own thoughts and feelings about this whole diversity issue was good.""

Senior Anjali Misra said she enjoyed hearing other students' ideas and opinions at the discussion.

""I think it's a positive thing, hearing [what student's have to say about ethnic studies] and engaging in these conversations because Ethnic Studies Week made a space for it,"" Misra said. ""I think that talking is a great starting point to get some action and to get stuff done.""