Big Ten Conference: What has this season taught us?

Week six in college football was headlined by Alabama's fall from grace at the hands of South Carolina and Ohio State's reclamation of No.1 status in both polls for the first time since 2007.  A few interesting situations developed as the Big Ten became the new home to the best team in the nation.

After two games in the Big Ten, Minnesota sits at the bottom of the heap, and their prospects do not seem encouraging. With a single win to their credit a victory over Middle Tennessee, the Gophers are reeling. On a team riddled with problems, the defense seems to be the biggest issue, ranking 102nd in the nation in points against.  The most telling indication of the team's fortunes is the fashion in which they lost to Wisconsin. In a heated rivalry match up that has been decided by seven points or fewer in the previous three seasons, Minnesota looked lifeless from the outset, losing by 18. Head coach Tim Brewster is on the hot seat, and with big games remaining against Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa, he may be on his way out of the Twin Cities soon.

Perennial powerhouse Penn State has been a disappointment thus far, falling last weekend to Illinois at their own Beaver Stadium. The Nittany Lions launched their campaign ranked No. 18 in the AP poll, but having lost handily to No.1 Alabama,  No.17 Iowa and Illinois last weekend, head coach Joe Paterno's boys have long since fallen out of favor. Penn State is in the middle of an injury crisis following their loss to the Illini, as three players are now out for the season. Three more are out for their next game against Minnesota, and six more questionable to play in that game.  The team will welcome their upcoming bye week, but if the injury bug sticks around, once-mighty Penn State might find it difficult to make it to a bowl game.

Illinois has overachieved so far, but with their impressive win over Penn State, the Illini might be ready to capitalize on their talent.  If they can balance out a lopsided attack (19th in the nation in rushing, 114th in passing) and stay consistent on defense, they've allowed more than 13 points just once, Illinois might surprise in the second half of the season.

Wisconsin has been characteristically impressive on the ground, racking up 250 rushing yards against Minnesota on their way to retaining Paul Bunyan's Axe last weekend. However, after allowing the Gophers two late touchdowns, the Badgers will have to cut down on lapses on defense late in games. With a tough schedule ahead, especially Ohio State coming into Madison this weekend, the Badgers will need to stay consistent on offense (16th in the nation in points scored) and limit big plays on special teams to fulfill lofty expectations.

Michigan State has been impressive in an emotionally charged first half of the season.  the surging Spartans went into The Big House and dismantled Michigan last weekend by shutting down Wolverine quarterback Denard Robinson. Michigan State's balanced approach (22nd in the nation in points for, 26th in points against) has earned them respect and the No.13 ranking in the AP poll. With head coach Mark Dantonio back on the sidelines after suffereing a heart attack and a favorable schedule in the second half, the Spartans could wind up conference champions if they continue their high level of play.

Ohio State has been typically high-powered on offense. Quarterback and Heisman hopeful Terrelle Pryor leads an offensive unit that has scored fewer than 30 points only once.  However, the Buckeyes have had just one away game, and that game was their closest contest of the season against a tough Illinois squad that they narrowly defeated, 24-13. OSU's win over Indiana last weekend reveals little about the Buckeyes, but their date with the Badgers in Madison this Saturday will go a long way toward establishing whether this is indeed the best team in the nation.

What does this all mean?  It is too early to confidently predict who will emerge as champion of the Big Ten, but the Buckeyes and Spartans have looked strong thus far and can certainly be considered the favorites heading into the third week of conference play.  The teams behind them are sure to make some noise, and one thing is certain the remainder of the final Big Ten season before realignment will surely be memorable.