ASM changes who will draft internal budget

The Associated Students of Madison passed reforms Wednesday night to change who authors the ASM internal budget and enforce member attendance.

The Internal Budget Reform Act will transfer the task of drafting the internal budget from the finance committee to the coordinating council.

In the past the finance committee, which consists mostly of appointees who are not necessarily directly involved with ASM, has drafted the initial budget.

However the coordinating council, which is made up of ASM committee chairs, ASM Chair Brandon Williams and ASM Vice Chair Adam Johnson, will now draft the budget.

Johnson, one of the act's sponsors, said he thinks this is a more efficient way of drafting the internal budget.

""The coordinating council has a good idea about what's wrong with our current budget, what we need money for that we don't have and what parts of the budget are wasted, so that we can have a smart budget rather than just drafting the same budget every year,"" Johnson said.

Additionally, ASM approved the Committee Appointment Accountability Bylaws, which will monitor the attendance of student council members.

The bylaw states that if a student council member receives two unexcused absences at their appointed committee meetings, they will also receive one unexcused absence from student council.

Representative Tyler Junger said the bylaw is fair and will prevent members from missing an excessive number of meetings.

""I agree with it,"" Junger said. ""You know, if you are going to commit yourself to a committee, then you should show up.""