Zimmermann 5K Memorial to raise awareness

SAFEwalk

The UW Police Department, Madison Area Crimestoppers and the family of Brittany Zimmermann will hold a memorial 5K walk/run in honor of Zimmermann October 2 at 9 a.m.

Zimmermann, who studied medical microbiology and immunology at UW-Madison, was killed in her apartment on West Doty Street around 12 p.m. April 2, 2008.

According to Madison Police, there were signs of forced entry and the murder appeared to be random.

Officials hope the memorial run and the incentive of a larger reward for tips will raise awareness about Zimmermann and ultimately lead to the capture of her killer, who is currently still at large.

Zimmermann's aunt, Kim Heeg, has hope that the killer will be found.

""Whoever did this is doing whatever they want to do in their life, and that is not OK,"" Heeg said. ""Brittany doesn't have her life anymore, and her family and friends don't have the same life they had before either, and there needs to be accountability for this.""

Proceeds from the 5K will support the Brittany Zimmermann Reward Fund and Madison Area Crimestoppers.

MACS is a non-profit organization that ""offers anonymity and cash rewards to persons who furnish information that leads to an arrest,"" according to the MACS website.

South Campus Community Police Officer Erik Pearce said the event will help raise awareness about crime-prevention efforts in Madison.

""We hope by naming the event in Brittany's honor that some good can come out of this tragedy … Her murder has already sparked many changes in how law enforcement and the Dane County 911 Center operate,"" Pearce said in a statement.

Campus safety is still a relevant issue on campus. Dean of Students Lori Berquam recently addressed the issue of student safety, recommending that students walk with friends and carry a cell phone in case of emergency. She also advised students to lock their doors and windows and remain aware of their surroundings when using electronic devices.

""Personal safety isn't something to only think about at nighttime, but to make a part of your life, all of the time,"" Berquam said in a statement.

SAFE (Safe Arrival For Everyone) services on campus are a resource for students who feel uncomfortable traveling at night. SAFEwalk, SAFEride Cab and SAFEride Bus programs are available as transportation alternatives at night.

Registration for the 5K is $20 and is open until September 30.  The race will begin at Library Mall, and a $50 prize will be awarded to the male and female participants who finish first.