Tensions rise at neighborhood meeting over proposed bar

Main St.: The proposed plans for Retro Tavern on West Main Street spark controversy at neighborhood meeting on Wednesday.

Heated debates developed at a neighborhood meeting Tuesday over the potential alcohol licensing of the proposed Retro Tavern at 111 West Main St.

The majority of the neighborhood's residents present at the meeting expressed strong opposition to the Retro Tavern's potential service of alcohol.

Madison residents and students alike were concerned about the late-night noise the bar's patrons might bring into their neighborhood. Some residents present at the meeting were concerned about the lack of diversity on a block with all bars and taverns.

However, a few were supportive of new life in a space that has been vacant for several years. Nearby neighbor Erin Decker and several other residents were willing to accept the tavern as part of their community.

""When I think of the alternative business owners who could come in here, I think this is a nice alternative,"" Decker said.

The applicants, father-and-son team Curtis and Matt Brink, offered their plan for the tavern at the meeting. The tavern would be a 9,600 square foot, three-story space used as a restaurant, bar and live music venue.

The Brinks, also owners of the High Noon Saloon and Brink Lounge in Madison, said they hope the tavern will be a place to dine, host parties or play pool in the game room upstairs.

""We would be catering to an older crowd,"" Matt Brink said.

Attendees of the meeting were able to suggest conditions of the tavern's license, such as the maximum occupancy and closing hours.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said feedback from this public meeting will be greatly taken into consideration when the Brinks apply for an alcohol license before Madison's Alcohol License Review Committee Sept. 29.

""What I'm going to do is take all of the input under advisement,"" Verveer said. ""I still have mixed feelings.""