Red shirts raise money for need-based aid

Red shirts on bascom: Mini Red Shirts covered Bascom Hill yesterday to promote the Great People Scholarship Foundation, which supports need-based aid at UW-Madison.

478 decorative mini-bright red shirts covered Bascom Hill yesterday encouraging students to purchase tee-shirts as part of The Red Shirt campaign.

According to The Red Shirt Marketing Director Shannon Timm, The Red Shirt is an awareness campaign to promote the Great People Scholarship Foundation.

UW campaign that encourages donations to need based aid by pledging to match all contributions.

The Wisconsin Alumni Association founded The Red Shirt in 2008. Each shirt costs $15 with all proceeds going towards the Great People Scholarship Foundation.

Timm said The Red Shirt is an effective way to raise money.

""The Red Shirt is a fun and spirited way for alumni and students alike to give back to the Madison community,"" said Timm

$125,000 has been raised in the past three years. Since the profits earned by The Red Shirt are matched by the UW foundation, the Wisconsin Alumni Association pledged to donate $250,000 to be given in scholarships over the next five years.

The red shirts may be purchased online or in Bucky's Locker Room throughout the 2010-2011 academic year.

For more information: http://www.uwalumni.com/theredshirt_thirdedition.aspx.