Re-Tooning Their Game

abbrederis

Re-Tooning Their Game

Injuries affect any football team over the course of a season, and the Badgers have been no exception. Through the first three games of the year the Badgers have sustained injuries to both of their starting wide receivers, junior Nick Toon and senior David Gilreath. In their absence, the team's other receivers have had to fill the void in the passing game created by their injuries. 

Last season, Toon emerged as the Badgers' main receiving threat and established himself as a premier receiver in the Big Ten by leading the team with 54 receptions for 804 yards to go along with four touchdown grabs.

But this year didn't start off as many expected for Toon.

During the team's opener against UNLV he suffered a turf toe injury that has kept him out of the last three games.  

NFL players have said that the one injury they fear above all others is turf toe. This is because it a very painful injury, and its effects can vary from player to player, causing the recovery process to be a difficult one.

For those who don't know what turf toe it is exactly, the injury occurs when a player aggravates the socket the big toe sits in.

This injury can be very painful because, as Toon put it, ""you don't realize how much you use something like your big toe until you can't use it. You use it with every step you take and obviously it makes running difficult.""

""It feels good right now,"" Toon said. ""I practiced a little bit today and it felt good. So for now I'm going to take it day by day and if I feel good on Saturday then I'm going to be out there playing.""

In wake of the injuries to the team's two starters, the Badgers have had to look to other sources in the passing game.

One player who has really stepped up is senior tight end Lance Kendricks. Tight ends are always a big part of the Wisconsin offense, but Kendricks has seen his role increase even more in the wake of the injuries to the receiving core.

Kendricks said coming to Wisconsin as a receiver has helped him contribute even more in the passing game.

""Because I came in as a receiver I know a lot of the routes they run,"" he said. ""The coaches know I'm comfortable doing that so in games they know they can split me out wide and use me as a receiver if needed.""

Kendricks has also developed good on-field chemistry with senior quarterback Scott Tolzien. In the two games without Toon in the lineup, Kendricks has totaled 10 catches for 131 yards and the only two passing touchdowns the Badgers have this season.

""In practice is where we try to get it where it needs to be,"" Kendricks said of his relationship with Tolzien. ""But our chemistry is getting really good, he's really getting comfortable throwing me the ball and using me split out and everything.""

Kendricks also said he relishes his newfound role as the passing game's go-to guy.

""I definitely like being in that role,"" he said. ""I like that the guys can count on me to go out there and make the big plays when we need them.""

Another receiver, freshman Jared Abbrederis, has seen his playing time increase significantly with Gilreath out of the lineup.

In his first game starting last week against Arizona State, Abbrederis caught three balls for 35 yards to go along with 19 rushing yards on two end-around plays.

""Everyone has stepped up,"" Abbrederis said. ""Me, Jeff Duckworth, Isaac [Anderson], everybody has put it on their shoulders and worked really hard in practice to get where we are so we're able to go out there and compete every game.""

""We just need to make sure  we catch every ball that comes our way so that the quarterbacks have faith in us and will keep throwing us the ball,"" he added. ""We also have to block so that the running backs or whoever is carrying the ball can get touchdowns.""

Abbrederis has also stepped into Gilreath's usual role of punt returner. He recieved his first action in that spot last week against the Sun Devils.

""I like returning punts,"" Abbrederis said. ""Last game was great because I was able to get in there and get some experience doing it. So hopefully I can keep doing it well, not make mistakes and just go out there and have fun.""

With his replacements playing well, Toon said he has high hopes for this team once he and the other injured players are able to return.

""The guys out there now have done a decent job of stepping up and doing what needs to be done,"" he said. ""We're winning games and that is what really matters. But we haven't seen our team at full strength yet, and I'm excited to see us at full strength.""