Letter to the Editor: Student voters are truly important

In the summer of 1971, the 26th Amendment to the United States Constitution finally afforded anyone eighteen or older the right to vote. Faced with a new demographic, namely college students, policy makers were forced to cater their policies to a much younger constituency than ever before.

Since then, however, students have rarely tapped their potential voting power. In the 2008 elections, a young demographic played a large role in electing new public officials, but it will take more than one large turnout to force policy makers to seriously consider the college student constituency. A consistent, sustained voting turnout over time will make our elected representatives realize that our vote matters and that if they don't pay attention to us, they'll need to find a new job.

This is especially important in the coming midterm elections. Midterm elections typically see a lower voter turnout. A strong student showing this year could drastically change that outcome. In truth, students have a real opportunity to influence this election, so long as we actually show up to the polls.

Faced with real budget shortfalls, a new governor, and many contested seats in the state Legislature, the next legislative session in Wisconsin is going to be a pivotal one. Students need to be mindful of the real ramifications of this election and how it can drastically affect the future of Wisconsin, and in particular, higher education in the Wisconsin System.

It's easy to point the blame for increasing tuition at the administration and Board of Regents; after all, the University of Wisconsin has faced several years of consistent 5.5 percent increases in tuition costs. But the real power behind the cost to attend here lies at the state level.  When the legislature and governor reduce funding to the UW System and costs to continue at the university continue to go up with inflation, tuition must go up or the quality of education suffers. The Regents just do simple math.

Students this year have the very real opportunity to change that. The Associated Students of Madison for its part will be organizing a massive lobbying campaign to influence the state to fund the university at a sustainable level. But our voices matter very little if students do not show up at the polls.  

Please take a moment to visit  studentvote.org and register to vote as a commitment to your fellow students. You can also turn in your forms in the ASM Offices on the 4th Floor of the Student Activity Center.  On behalf of the Associated Students of Madison, the Dean of Students, WISPIRG, the College Democrats and the College Republicans, we urge you: Get out and vote.

Brandon Williams, Stephen Duerst, Evan Giesemann, Alex Sullivan and Lori Berquam. We welcome all feedback. Please send all responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.