Intolerance does nothing to relieve pain

Melissa Grau

Tomorrow marks the ninth anniversary of the terrorist attacks that altered the course of our history forever.  After September 11, 2001, Americans proudly rallied together around the revered concept of representing the American values of freedom, unity, diversity, fearlessness, and tenacity.  Former President Bush said later on that day, ""Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended...We're not going to be stopped, we're not going to be deterred, we're not going to stay at home, we're not going to be frightened, we are going to live our lives as Americans."" 

Unfortunately, since the surge of patriotism in 2001, there has been a surge of Islamophobia that falsely admonishes all Muslims as the ""coward"" that attacked our freedom.  And instead of striving to defend that freedom and truly living our lives as Americans, the recent religious intolerance of Muslims in fact destroys freedom and the hope for moving into a future that reflects the American way of life we have constantly been fighting for.

Debates concerning the Islamic center near Ground Zero reflect this religious intolerance.  The building would be located two blocks from the site of the attacks, yet its proximity has protestors claiming it is insensitive to 9/11 victims and their families.  Yet to deny the right to build a cultural facility that houses not only a prayer space for Muslims, but also an auditorium, theater, fitness center, childcare services, art exhibitions, bookstore, culinary school, and a food court simply because it is an Islamic center is un-American. 

Limiting any religion, like Islam, which actually preaches nonviolence, and dictating where they can and cannot pray is unjust and only propagates irrational fear.   Prohibiting the construction of a mosque on private property on a New York City street is a breach of the First Amendment's guarantee to the freedom of religion and various property rights.   Furthermore, targeting an Islamic building, rather than a church or synagogue, only communicates the idea that Muslims should be discriminated against.

Yes, the wounds from 9/11 are still fresh for many Americans, but proliferating a hatred for an entire religion simple adds salt to those wounds.  Terrorists attacked us for being American.  It would be the ultimate act of defiance to adhere with American tenacity to our values of religious acceptance and not allow terror to rule our lives. 

The anti-war group, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, bravely endorses this idea in a statement that denotes the center as ""an emblem for the rest of the world that Americans stand against violence, intolerance, and overt acts of racism, and that we recognize that the evil acts of a few must never damn the innocent.""

Even more upsetting than the bigoted and deluded protests concerning the new Islamic center in New York City are the blatant anti-Islamic activities planned to occur tomorrow in Gainesville, Florida.   Coinciding with the end of Ramadan today and the 9/11 anniversary tomorrow, Pastor Terry Jones of Dove World Outreach Center is planning a mass burning of the Koran.  Scheduling this utmost offense has attracted worldwide attention and scorn, yet sadly reflects part of the anti-Muslim passion in America.  This attitude and dangerous course of action threaten America's safety, spread apprehension among American Muslims, and convert what should be a solemn remembrance of 9/11 into a frenzied hatred.

This year's anniversary of September 11 is veiled in tension as rallies for and against the Islamic center and the Christian extremist Koran-burning are scheduled to take place.  I like to think that the anti-Muslim attitude is the attitude of a minority, and that most Americans will exude the traditions of freedom, tolerance, and diversity to overcome efforts to demonize the innocent.  We need to realize that Islamophobic actions are prejudiced and indeed, un-American, and stand up to prove to the world's watchful eye that it is inconsistent with the way Americans live their lives.

Melissa Grau is a sophomore majoring intending to major in journalism. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.