Federal funding for stem cell research to continue temporarily

A federal appeals court temporarily removed a suspension of federal funding to embryonic stem cell research Wednesday.

Federal Judge Royce Lamberth ordered the suspension in August, but the appeals judges say they want more time to rule on the merits of the Obama administration's position against the suspension.

The reversal of the suspension means research will continue at UW-Madison's Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Center.

There are over 75 members of faculty and staff members conducting research with stem cells at UW-Madison with the goal to ""help develop a full basic understanding of stem cells, their properties, how they work and how they might be applied to treat human disease,"" according to the University of Wisconsin Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Center website.

Tim Kamp, professor of medicine and director of the univerisity's Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Center is excited federal funding has been opened, but said he is unsure whether it will stay opened.

""We don't know if this will be a lasting change or something that will change back next week,"" Kamp said. ""We are still in a wait-and-see mode, but obviously we are happy that at this point it's opening up federal funding.""

Gov. Jim Doyle also emphasized the reversal may be short-lived, but celebrated ending those restrictions on the National Institutes of Health.

""Today's federal court decision is good news because NIH can resume federal funding for stem cell research for the time being, but it is very temporary,"" Doyle said in a statement. ""The federal appeals court has not yet ruled on the motion for a stay or the preliminary injunction.""

Doyle added he will work to secure federal funding for stem cell research in Wisconsin.

""Wisconsin is home to more than 600 biotechnology companies, 11 stem cell companies and 34,000 jobs in the bioscience industry,"" he said. ""The stem cell research conducted in this state provides the potential for life saving medical breakthroughs that families around the world so desperately need. Judge Lamberth's order put this all at risk.""

Chancellor Biddy Martin, Doyle and Kamp held a news conference Tuesday to discuss how the constantly changing stem cell policy impedes research.

Kamp, who successfully grew working heart muscle cells from stem cells in 2009, said the on-again off-again stem cell policies slow progress.

""It makes it, practically, quite difficult for researchers because the experiments that we do in growing stem cells takes weeks, months and years,"" Kamp said. ""We can't turn the research switch on and off as quickly as these legal rulings come. We need to have some stability to make progress and have productive research.""