ASM discusses leave policy, gives homecoming grant

The Associated Students of Madison decided to grant $19,185 to help fund UW-Madison's homecoming celebration this year and debated a member's leave of absence request at their weekly meeting Wednesday.

The nearly $20,000 to be rewarded to the UW Homecoming Committee will cover expenses such as printing, advertising, space and equipment rentals.

Nominations Chair Andrea Nichols requested a leave of absence from Sept. 29, 2010 until Dec. 20, 2010.

The leave of absence would mean Nichols would remain nominations chair, but would not attend ASM meetings during that specified time period.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Matt Manes said he understands Nichols is busy, but she should still attend meetings.

""She's just really, really busy right now and wants to stay involved, but right now really just isn't the time for her to do that,"" said Manes.

The chair of nominations is paid a stipend of $3,500 per year.

Some members said it is not fair for someone in a paid position to not attend meetings.

""I think that a paid position inside of student council cannot be too busy,"" said Shared Governance Chair Kyle VandenLangenberg.

Other members said that although ASM is important, studies must be a top priority.

""We are all students when we're doing our jobs here. I think that's extremely important for everyone to recognize,"" said former ASM Chair Tyler Junger.

ASM did not reach a decision regarding the requirements of the chair of nominations position.

Nichols did not attend the meeting and declined to comment.

ASM members also discussed minor alterations to the bylaws, which include changing the name of ""Academic Affairs Committee"" to ""University Affairs Committee"" and allowing meeting agendas to be more flexible.