Getting the music to Madison

High Noon Saloon

Getting the music to Madison

At first glance, Madison may seem to have a somewhat unlucky location when it comes to booking bands. With the Twin Cities to the north, Milwaukee to the east and Chicago to the south, there is the potential for a lot of competition when it comes to where bands choose to book shows.

But despite this competition, Cathy Dethmers, owner and booking agent for the High Noon Saloon, believes Madison's location is especially lucky, one that ensures that good music will find its way here.

""I actually feel that our geographic location is a lucky one,"" Dethmers said. ""Many bands want to make a stop somewhere between Chicago and Minneapolis, cities generally considered primary markets for music, while Madison is a secondary, or even tertiary, market.""

Dethmers explained that Madison needs those big markets geographically adjacent to it in order to lure in big acts. Without them, nationally recognized groups would likely ignore Madison, and perhaps the state of Wisconsin entirely. Of course, Madtown is not the only city that sits between Minneapolis and Chicago.

""We definitely compete with Milwaukee in these situations,"" Dethmers added. ""But many bands prefer to play in Madison because they can tap into a bigger student market from [UW-Madison].""

Even though Madison has a vibrant population beyond the UW campus, it is the student body that persuades many national groups to book shows in Madison.

""The large population at the UW is a definite attraction for bands,"" she said. ""People generally just think of Madison as a college town.""

That said, Dethmers did note that there are facets beyond the student population that draw bands to Madison.

""I think Madison also is appealing because it has a pretty rich and diverse cultural scene, which shows that people here are open to and supportive of lots of bands in various genres,"" she said.

This continued interest in the countless genres of music supports the constant variety taking the stage in Madison. Because Madisonians are not loyal to only one genre, the floodgates are open to anyone who wants to play in Madison, regardless of their technique.

""In my experience, the Madison music scene goes through lots of phases where certain genres are extra hot, but overall the city seems pretty supportive of all styles of music,"" Dethmers said. ""I don't think there is any one genre that always works or that is always excluded.""

This continued appreciation of diverse acts is not only a benefit for national acts, but also for members of the vibrant local music scene, a scene any booking agent would be silly not to take advantage of. This is something Dethmers is very aware of, and tries to incorporate into the High Noon Saloon's calendar of events.

Although the High Noon Saloon's event calendar depends greatly on what bands are coming through Madison and what special events crop up locally, Dethmers does like to fill the schedule with as many local acts as possible.

""I like to get at least one local band on every night, but that isn't always possible,"" Dethmers said.

For these reasons, Madison continues to lure in acts of every genre. The city may not be a major metropolitan market, but that doesn't stop it from being a popular stop on bands' tours.

""To me, it seems like most bands really like the vibe of the music scene in Madison … A lot of bands tell us we were their favorite stop on their tour,"" Dethmers said.