Burish makes Madison rounds with Cup

Burish: Former Wisconsin hockey standout and 2010 NHL Champion Adam Burish brings the Stanley cup to Madison

Burish makes Madison rounds with Cup

While many Badger fans count the days until football season starts, a taste of hockey came to the Kohl Center in the middle of August. Adam Burish, the Madison native who helped Wisconsin's men's hockey team win the 2006 national championship, came home with an even more impressive piece of hardware Wednesday: The Stanley Cup.

Burish won the Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks, claiming the trophy after Patrick Kane's overtime goal in game six of the Stanley Cup Finals. Each player from the championship team is given a day with the Cup, and Burish spent the first part of his signing autographs in Madison as hockey fans waited in long lines for a few moments up close and personal with the prized trophy.

Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves, who coached Burish on the 2006 title team, said having the Cup in Madison was a great way to build interest in the game ahead of the upcoming season.

""It brings hockey to the forefront right now in August, and I think that will permeate through the whole community,"" Eaves said. ""It just kind of compounds and produces more interest in the game, especially for young people.""

Burish's time with the Cup began when it arrived from Roseau, Minn., where Blackhawk forward Dustin Byfuglien spent some time with the trophy in his hometown. From there, Burish took the Cup to the Eagle's Nest in Verona, Wis., a rink he said was very important to him.

""That was a place that I grew up playing at,"" Burish said. ""For me, I wanted to win a national championship, then I wanted to win a Stanley Cup. And I got those two things, so let's go back there and tell those people thanks and allow them to share this.""

From there, Burish took the Cup to Camp Randall Stadium and showed it off to Badger football players at training camp. Next, he brought the trophy to a number of popular student destinations, including an outdoor dinner at State Street Brats and later the Memorial Union Terrace. Some former players joined Burish, including Hobey Baker winner Blake Geoffrion and goaltender Shane Connelly, who posted pictures of the Cup on their Twitter pages.

Burish said he wanted to let his former teammates share the experience of having the trophy as well.

""What was important to me was making sure all of my buddies who I played with that are here in town have a good time with it,"" he said.

After signing autographs and letting fans pose for pictures with the Cup from 10 a.m. until noon Wednesday, Burish planned to take it to his family's home for an afternoon party before bringing the trophy back downtown for a night at the Kollege Klub bar. He said when he walks around with it, he tends to be extremely popular.

""Wherever you go they could care less who's got the cup, they just want to see the cup,"" Burish said. ""That's how it's been everywhere.""

That was the case for some fans waiting to see it as well. Waterford, Mich., native Mason Cook came from Milwaukee to see the Cup, standing out from the many Blackhawks fans in line thanks to his Detroit Red Wings jersey. Cook, wearing the captain's C of Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom, said Burish was not the reason he drove an hour and a half to Madison Wednesday.

Instead, he wanted to get as close as he could to hockey's ultimate prize.

""I've seen it in parades before and I've seen it up close a couple of times,"" Cook said. ""But if you can touch the Cup, that's definitely on a hockey fan's to-do list.""