UW to lose three seniors from tight-knit squad

tennis pic: The transition from the isolation of junior leagues to the pressure-packed college stage can be a difficult transition to make, but strong leadership and camraderie in Madison eases the process.

Tennis is a lonely sport.

Most days a player squares off against a singular adversary, separated from him by some 78 feet and a net, according to professional, standard measures. Teamwork doesn't get results when there's no one on your side and there is no give and take between a solitary player and his box. Camaraderie is a part of the game from the beginning for most young athletes, but for a tennis player, the team atmosphere they encounter as a collegiate athlete is more of a blip in a staunchly individual sport.

""It's you against them,"" senior Michael Dierberger said bluntly. ""No one's out there helping you. It's all on you.""

Whether in the junior circuits Dierberger traversed early in his career or the club leagues and gyms that produced much of Wisconsin's international talent, team experiences are rare. That becomes the challenge to collegiate coaches when rag-tag groups of freshman show up in the fall for their first tournaments, at least their first as a Badger.

""We all go, the team together, we all warm up together,"" assistant coach Evan Austin said, who has watched waves come through in his years coaching with the program. ""Even though they're playing at different times, they all have to be at the courts all day together, and I think that's their first eye opener that it's not all about me anymore, it's about what's best for the team.""

But in his experience, most players welcome the transition.

""Tennis is such a lonely sport, so I really enjoyed it, being part of the team,"" senior Moritz Baumann  said,  reflecting on his own tenure on the ream as it draws to a close. ""If you lose, you don't lose on your own. The team lost. It's not that painful, I guess. You can talk about it.""

Joined in rosters of six to ten players, competing in dual format for three doubles matches, six singles and one fate, players echo the same sentiment again and again about the seven-point system; It's the first to four.

""You have the chance to be the last guy on the court, it's three all and your teammates screaming and yelling ... and you just know that you mean something for the team and the team needs you. You are not going to just lean back or just give up. There's no way you can do it.""

But on the flipside of that support, the agony of defeat can be tough to articulate when you fail to come through.

""I've experienced it a couple times,"" junior Marek Michalicka said through a half grimace. ""It's not a good feeling. Just regret.""

And settling in that role as part of a larger whole can dramatically change the attitude of such a gentlemanly one-on-one to a raucous gathering. The change in atmosphere from years of junior tournaments is vivid in the minds of its practitioners and observers alike.

""It's a different type of game,"" Austin said. ""It's much more intense. Even when you watch the pros play, it's a little different than when you're watching a college dual match going on with all the action between the courts.""

Between Dierberger, Baumann, Michalicka and the cast of six other characters, the current squad is much more than the sum of its parts, and that cohesion shows in match play even with modestly improving results in the polls over the last few years. Austin calls his current squad the most united team the coaching staff has ever had.

""We've gotten to the point now where we've really got the type of guys we want, the type of players we want, the type of leaders we want,"" Austin said. ""I don't think it's going to change.""

This year, the Badgers lose three seniors, departures that will certainly be noted, and may even threaten the balance Austin and head coach Greg Van Emburgh have carefully constructed on the team. Someone, some individual will have to step up for the group.

""Marek definitely is going to step up as a leader, and Pat too,"" Baumann said. ""They are already kind of leaders. They've been through a lot of close, important matches.""

A glib Michalicka isn't sure how he feels about this assessment. ""How should I feel? In tennis what does it mean? You have to pick up all the guys and make them run around the court before practice?""

Despite Michalicka's misgivings about holding together the tennis players he considers teammates, Austin seems more confident.

""He's not the most vocal guy, but then again he's the guys that's always to practice early,"" he said. ""Some guys don't necessarily always think that they're a leader, but you see him go out and play extremely professionally and does things the right way.""

Austin sees sophomore Patrick Pohlmann as a unique competitor, and he seems to be the unanimous vote for most impassioned addition to the team's cast.

""A guy like Patrick... he's the guy that if you're playing a highly ranked team he said, ‘Come on guys, this is our opportunity.' He's not afraid of anyone.""

But all the personalities keep it interesting for the team spending countless hours on the road together and over some 27 matches on the court.

""Marek's the goofy one on the court,"" Dierberger said, wryly."" Pat has a real fiery attitude, Chris is real speedy ... Luke is definitely more of the laid-back person. Ricky's quiet but deadly.""

""They all have different, unique characteristics,"" said Baumann, plainly. ""Tennis players are all, individually different.""

There are still individual tournaments to be contested, personal rankings and record related fame to be had. Baumann plans to follow their team effort,  with a few years on the pro tour, and back to the lonely reality of his game. But there won't be any regrets from anyone about indulging in team spirit that is common in most sports. They won't regret their time on the team.