Madison named the first Fair Trade state capital

WISPIRG: The Wisconsin Student Public Interest Group celebrated Madison?s distinction as a Fair Trade City with a press conference Tuesday and will host a ?Go Bananas for Fair Trade? event on Bascom Hill Thursday.

The Wisconsin Student Public Interest Group held a press conference Tuesday to announce Madison's status as a Fair Trade City, making it the 16th city in the nation and the first state capital to receive this designation.

WISPIRG's announcement followed two years of student lobbying and work to gain the support of the Common Council, local businesses and community members who are in favor of the fair trade initiative.

According to WISPIRG, the ""Fair Trade"" distinction is reserved for products produced under fair labor conditions in which workers receive a fair wage and work in a safe environment that prohibits child labor.

The steps in becoming a Fair Trade City include crafting a local campaign, creating a Fair Trade ""steering committee"" to ensure continued commitment, and establishing the presence of local businesses offering Fair Trade products.

In Madison, some currently participating businesses include Madison Fresh Market, Fair Indigo, Café Soleil, A Room of One's Own and others.

Of the many steps necessary for a town to be deemed a Fair Trade City, it is most important for the city council to pass a resolution supporting fair trade and the local campaign, WISPIRG campaign coordinator Allie Gardner said.

Resolution co-sponsor Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, spoke at the conference, congratulating WISPIRG's work and describing the resolution as just the beginning.

""This is really the clearest example of student activism at work,"" Verveer said. ""And this is only the first step.""

WISPIRG, Verveer and fellow resolution co-sponsor Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, hope to follow this first step by working with the city council to pass an ordinance requiring Madison to increase its use of fair trade products.

""Currently, [the resolution] is a signal of support from our leaders,"" said Gardner. ""But hopefully the ordinance is going to have some more legally binding language, making it a requirement to use fair trade products in certain situations.""

WISPIRG's announcement came four days before World Fair Trade Day, which will be celebrated this Saturday at Monona Terrace.

Other upcoming events include a fair trade tea and coffee tasting Wednesday in Library Mall and WISPIRG's ""Go Bananas for Fair Trade"" event on Bascom Hill Thursday.