UW System schools wish to increase number of grads

University of Wisconsin System President Kevin Reilly set goals for UW campuses to increase the number of graduates by 30 percent over the next 15 years.

Education is part of UW System's Growth Agenda for Wisconsin, a long-term plan that would increase Wisconsin's economic competitiveness, according to the UW System.

""If we are going to climb out of this economic [downturn] we think higher education is part of that ladder,"" David Giroux, UW System executive director of communications and external relations, said.

The plan aims to increase the number of undergraduate degrees at UW-Madison from 26,000 to 33,700. According to UW System, by 2025 there would be a cumulative gain of 80,000 more graduates under the new plan.

Giroux said the UW System should increase the number of Wisconsin graduates to obtain rates similar to national averages.

""If we keep doing the same, we would slide even further back. That shouldn't be acceptable to anyone,"" he said.

According to a release, Reilly said increasing the number of graduates would benefit the state's economy.

""That broadens the tax base, lowers the individual tax burden, enriches local communities and allows more people to enjoy a high quality of life,"" he said.

Associated Students of Madison Vice Chair Tom Templeton said the plan's success would depend on state and federal funding.

""It's a great plan and a great idea but it's not feasible unless we get appropriate and adequate funding  and resources … in order to balance those out,"" he said.

UW-Madison political science professor Donald Downs said reaching these goals with the current budget may concern professors because they might result in a possible decrease in tenure positions granted and a potential increase in the number of professors receiving lower salaries.

Downs also said that increasing the number of Wisconsin graduates could lower UW-Madison's academic standards.

The UW System and Board of Regents will meet in Fond du Lac Thursday to discuss further plans.