Students debate funding for new Nat

Supporters and opponents of proposed Natatorium renovations met Thursday in the Humanities building to debate a possible increase in student segregated fees.

The debate offered a chance for the student organization in support of the Natatorium renovations, NatUp, and its opposition, the No New Segregated Fees Campaign, to voice their opinions in a panel discussion before the referendum goes to a student vote next week.

The proposed facility would be completed in fall 2014, with an increase of $54.19 per semester in student segregated fees beginning in fall 2013 to help fund the renovations for the next 30 years.

According to Kaitlin Bromann, a UW-Madison student and NatUp proponent, the Natatorium's current amenities and size cannot meet the increasing student demand, which currently forces Rec Sports to turn down half of all student organizations' requests for space.

""The need for this project is undeniable,"" Bromann said.

Opponents agreed that the renovations are necessary but questioned the use of student segregated fees to pay for it.

""[The new Natatorium] is going to happen,"" Peter Rickman, member of the No New Segregated Fees Campaign, said. ""It just comes down to who pays for it, and we say not from student segregated fees.""

Audience member Carl Fergus, a UW-Madison senior, said he also questions the need for funding to come from students, pointing to the proposal's lack of significant state funding, private donors or other sources for the project.

""Every increase means more work,"" said Fergus, who said he works four jobs to pay for school.

Several supporting audience members said the increase in student segregated fees is not only worth it, but necessary.

""Having been to both the Natatorium and SERF … I've seen the need for improvement. There's really no other alternative,"" Rachel Henrigillis, a UW-Madison junior, said.

Bromann said either way, the decision will rely solely on students.

""The vote will determine the outcome. The students themselves will decide democratically if the referendum … is of value to them,"" she said.

The student vote on the proposal will take place during next week's Associated Students of Madison elections, April 12-14.