Tips for dining, drinking and living off-campus-Eastside Madison

chairman: A patron reads while enjoying a warm beverage at Mother Fool?s Cafe.

Scatter-shot with casual pubs, inventive restaurants and myriad small shops, the near-east side's Williamson St. is one that a resident may never have to leave.  From the New Age shops and yoga studios to the hardware stores and plumbers that line the well-traveled road, locals can find anything they need or want on Willy's short ten-block run. 

Its borders are defined by the most beautiful bike shop in Madison, Machinery Row Bicycles (601 Williamson St.) and one of the best bars in town, Mickey's Tavern (1524 Williamson St.): and its interior is riddled with other interesting shops (Off the Bleaten Path Yarnery, Brumley's Old Clock Shop, Grampa's Gun Shop, etc.), delicious restaurants (Lao Laan Xang, Wah Kee Noodle) and other hidden gems. 

There are well-established neighborhood businesses standing next to newcomers, as well as beautiful old houses sharing yards with gas stations.  The Willy Street Neighborhood is a hodgepodge microcosm of Madison's best.

Although lifeless condos and other indicators of Madison's artless new development philosophy have begun to encroach, it seems like it will be a long time before the Willy St. area becomes the next Greenbush.

In an attempt to capture some of Willy Streets' vibrant atmosphere and down-to-earth personality, The Daily Cardinal embarked on a Thursday night adventure to a few of the street's favorite haunts. First stop en-route on Madison Metro Route 4 is Jennifer and Ingersoll, and one block over, at 1101 Williamson St., is a place where people in the know head for intriguing conversation, lovely baristas, weekend concerts and a killer Chai paired with delicious vegan soups and baked goods. At Mother Fool's Coffeehouse, interesting music is always playing, whether or not that may be ‘90s Pink (instant conversation starter), Agent Ribbons or the Avett Brothers.

The mood is very low-key, with mismatched chairs and retro couches, making it the perfect environment to do anything from homework, to tarot card readings if neighborhood denizen Magic is around, and reading. Most of all, Mother Fool's is a great place to meet and talk with other interesting characters with unique experiences. This aspect of the shop is amazing, as it is a throwback to the true original purpose of a coffee shop, socialization. And maybe coffee shops like Mother Fool's are one of the many reasons the community atmosphere on Willy St. is so strong.

Leaving the coffee house, we walked the block to the Weary Traveler, 1201 Willy St. This bar is busy every night of the week, due to its original fare with items such as the Bad Breath Burger and an extensive list of craft beers and unique cocktails. On this particular night, Lake Louie Scotch Ale draught was the drink of choice, and be assured the kegs were much lighter by the time the tab was settled.

The barkeep was a tower of a man, but his bar-side mannerisms divulged his lack of hostility, not to mention impressive Manhattans. The bar was thronged with people from wall to wall, and many who had claimed small remaining spots of the bar shifted to accommodate the continuing influx of bodies.

At the bar, a local woman —a woodworker—started a casual, entertaining conversation. She doled out postcards displaying pictures of her recent work, related fascinating details of her unique story thus far and engaged in intense conversation about abandoning North America for its southern counterpart. Bets could be placed on the probability of finding people this captivating and fun to speak with on any other street in Madison, and those betting in favor of other places will inevitably lose, as the mix of citizens who actually have interesting events and stories to relate is mind-boggling.

The journey to Mickey's Tavern, 1524 Williamson St., was quick and lively. On the way to the tavern we saw that the baker at Batch Bakehouse (1511 Williamson St.) was already preparing the morning's bread. Noticing our intrigue, he was kind enough to entertain us for a few moments while we grilled him about the fougasse we ate earlier—a rustic loaf filled with olives and parmesean, among other things.  The bread was mind-blowing, just like everything smelled as we peaked in. We left the baker dreaming of what would come out of the oven in the approaching hours.

Mickey's is another Madison favorite with its incredible charm and two-dollar Huber Bocks. In the summer it boasts one of the city's best outdoor patios, but in these bleak indoor months Mickey's perseveres as each rooms' unique and colorful décor breathe life into nights out. There are statues over the bathrooms, a stellar jukebox and a pool table centered in one of the many rooms.  Each of these contains many places to sit and converse with friends or new acquaintances as well as observe intense bouts of billiards.

It was a successful night, to say the least, one that combined the artistic culture, unique community and superb nightlife only found on Madison's very own Williamson St.