New Talgo train plant likely to create 125 jobs in Milwaukee

Spanish train company Talgo will operate from the former Tower Automotive to build the new high-speed rail lines and is expected to create 125 new jobs in Milwaukee, the company announced Tuesday.

Gov. Jim Doyle praised Talgo's decision to manufacture the trains in Milwaukee.

""The new Talgo facility will create 125 direct jobs in our state, manufacturing and assembling Talgo trains for Wisconsin and states across the country,"" he said in a statement. ""Through the [American Recovery and Reinvestment] Act and this facility, Wisconsin will see real economic benefits of high-speed rail for generations to come.""

Doyle said that aside from the direct creation of new jobs, the Talgo facility will also result in the creation of 450 new jobs throughout the Midwest at companies supplying the materials for rail construction.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said he is excited about the new construction facility and said in a statement that this is another example of how Milwaukee's city development team is striving to bring business to the region.

""Again, we have demonstrated that by working together, by using every appropriate economic development tool and by selling Milwaukee's strengths we can attract jobs to our community,"" Barrett said in a statement. ""I am confident our partnership with Talgo will produce benefits throughout the region.""

Talgo's decision comes in the wake of the state Legislature's approval of $810 million in federal funds for the construction of a Madison-Milwaukee rail line. Service is expected to begin in 2013.