New Beer Thursday--Rising Moon Spring Ale

Rising Spring Ale

Blue Moon's spring seasonal Rising Moon has hit liquor store shelves in an attempt to capitalize on drinkers lured in by the beer's suggestion of winter's end, warmer weather and Terrace music. However, Rising Moon's emphasis on ""smooth and balanced taste"" results in a one-dimensional brew more suited for beerophiles requiring training wheels than the discerning micro-brew lover.

Blue Moon is the go-to label for the semi-discerning drinker—that is, one who would rather avoid Budweiser and Miller Lite. And therein lies Rising Moon's only saving grace: It's not Budweiser. Rising Moon's failure to rise above should come as no surprise as Coors Brewing Company, which owns the Blue Moon brewing company, is more concerned with creating bottle labels that change color than crafting beer.

While Rising Moon could be considered drinkable, it's definitely not an artisanal brew. It's not complex or full-bodied. The nose is almost non-existent and the head is weak. Rising Moon hits the palate with a hint of lime, but beyond the citrus influence, the beer lacks depth and leaves a disappointing skuz on the tongue. Perhaps the beer would be refreshing on a hot day (caused by the fact that it mimics water and water is refreshing), but we here at the Beer Board prefer not to spend our hard earned money on beer that emulates water.  Even the beer's light amber color resembles water more so than beer.

For those drinkers looking for a beer that goes down easy, doesn't challenge the pallet and doesn't leave you wanting more, Rising Moon is a decent option, especially if it's on special. Our two-bottle rating places Rising Moon just above Budweiser, but well below quality. 

Best enjoyed when: When the Terrace is out of Spotted Cow...

Best served: Ice cold. Pint glass is optional.

Rating: 2/5 Beers