Madison sets up census assistance centers throughout city

census

Residents concerned about filling out their 2010 census forms can now receive additional assistance from the city of Madison.

The city has set up more than 30 locations throughout Madison, including one at Memorial Union, to assist citizens with filling out their forms and provide language assistance for those who need it.

The United States census is taken every 10 years and determines how much representation each area receives in city, state and federal governments in addition to determining federal funding.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said he estimates Madison loses about $1,000 in federal funding for every eligible Madison citizen who does not fill out the form.

""That could mean less money than we deserve and need for schools, human service programs and public infrastructure,"" he wrote in his blog.

Although many students still cite their parents' address as their permanent residence, it is important that they fill out their census form when they receive it in the mail, according to Brian Grady of the Madison Department of Planning and Development.

Cieslewicz said it would not take long—it only took him 182 seconds at a news conference Monday.

Assistance sites will be available until April 19.