Contributors donate $1.5M to interest groups in 2009, breaking non-election year record

Contributions to political interest groups in 2009 topped $1.5 million and broke a non-election year record, according to a new report from a non-partisan watchdog group.

A Wisconsin Democracy Campaign report showed groups received 138 percent more funds than they received in 2005, when the previous record was set.

Democratic-leaning groups received $1.03 million, or 67 percent of the total donations. Republican groups received just under $500,000.

The Greater Wisconsin Political Fund collected $400,000 in 2009, which is more than any other political interest group in Wisconsin received. The Republican Governors Association came in second, receiving more than $180,000.

Most of the groups receiving contributions either publish or produce issue ads during election seasons. Mike Buelow, research director for the WDC, said the groups typically produce negative ads, noting the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth ad that ran during the 2004 presidential campaign.

Buelow also said the WDC calls the groups ""shadow groups"" because much is unknown about their members.

""While they have to file reports that say who their contributors are, you don't know really who is behind the group itself,"" he said.

Buelow said most of the contributions in 2009 were made between October and December.

""Usually you don't see a lot of activity from most of the groups in a non-election year, so it is interesting that they broke the record and they broke it by so much,"" he said. ""It's probably because they assumed that 2010 would be a pretty high stakes year and they wanted to start their fundraising early.""

The groups have become increasingly active over time according to Buelow. Although the contributions reported were compiled before the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision in the Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission case, which uncapped spending limits by corporations and unions, Buelow said the decision could affect donations in the future.

""The Supreme Court decision certainly bodes well for them,"" he said.