Zoning changes could aid Edgewater project

verveer: Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, expressed concern that rushing changes to lakeshore zoning codes could have negative consequences in the future.

A change in the city's lakeshore zoning code may make it easier for the Edgewater Hotel renovation project to get underway.

Common Council members voted Tuesday to establish setback distance for lakeshore properties at no less than 75 feet from Lake Mendota, or as far back from the lakefront as the original Lakeshore Hotel. The old ordinance placed setback at about 140 feet.

Madison resident Eric Sundquist, a Plan Commission member, said setbacks differ greatly according to property and are less evident in residential areas than commercial properties.

""I think you need some kind of line in the sand as a zone for protection around the lake,"" he said.

Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3, proposed drawing the line at 75 feet. She said setbacks are determined by surrounding properties and allow them to ""creep"" toward the lake over time.

""I do recognize the creep factor … Let's simply accept it and move on,"" she said.

According to Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, the council's city zoning code, which is currently being rewritten, eliminates waterfront setback for commercial districts. He said the proposal passed Tuesday allows the Edgewater project to avoid appealing to legal action.

""Whatever change we make now will be temporary,"" he said.

Ald. Judy Compton, District 16, said the Madison Planning Committee and Environmental Committee would still have the opportunity to discuss setback distance.

""If these [committees] feel the Edgewater proposal has problems, they won't pass it,"" she said. ""I think we need to pass it and move on with it.""

Former Zoning Board of Appeals Chair John Martens said the proposal loosens lakefront standards and gives an advantage to the developer.

""It appears this proposal has been crafted in haste and has the potential for loopholes,"" he said.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, advised against rushing the decision just to make headway on the Edgewater Hotel project.

""It is a tremendous improvement, but there is the question of it doing harm beyond the Edgewater Hotel project,"" he said.

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, noted the setback determined for the Edgewater ""may be an answer to the Edgewater, but not overall.""