Wisconsin Dance Marathon to raise money for the American Family Children's Hospital

Dance Marathon: Participants at the 2009 Wisconsin Dance Marathon raised over $56,000 for the American Family Children?s Hospital.

Students attending the second annual Wisconsin Dance Marathon may have sore feet after dancing for 14 hours, but their commitment will benefit those in need at the American Family Children's Hospital.

The event, which will take place from 7 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 26 to 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 27 at the Shell, is expected to have over 300 participants, more than last year's event. In order to attend, the participants raise a donation of $100 via contributions from corporations, friends and family members.

According to Emily Kesner, public relations chair of the Wisconsin Dance Marathon, last year's marathon raised over $56,000.

""Our goal right now is just to exceed that this year,"" she said.

Kesner said participants will be taught part of a line dance every hour during the event to keep them awake and motivated.

She said at the end of the event participants will perform the routine and eat breakfast with the children benefitting from the event.

Adam Wallenfang, director of WDM, said various bands and student dance groups will be in attendance, including the UW-Madison Marching Band.

""I would definitely say that we have a lot of fun at the event,"" he said. ""It's 14 hours and that seems sort of daunting to some people, but it's 14 hours that's jam packed with a lot of entertainment.""

The money raised goes directly to American Family Children's Hospital, where, in the past, it funded new operational equipment, dinner programs and comfort kits for the kids and their families.

Kesner said, aside from organizing and participating in this event, WDM members also volunteer at the hospital year round.

""Being able to see [the children] when they come to the marathon and interact with them and volunteer in the hospital throughout the year really gives you a concrete connection to the cause we're supporting,"" she said.