Quaker Steak & Lube to take place of Uno

The corner of State Street and Gorham Street will be getting a face-lift as Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill closes to make way for Quaker Steak & Lube.

Pizzeria Uno has been paying reduced rent for ""a while,"" according to Kevin O'Driscoll, director of leasing at Urban Land Interests Inc., the corporation that owns the space.

""I've been hearing for quite some time that business was way down at Uno's downtown location,"" Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Verveer said he believed the downturn in the economy, the amount of competition Pizzeria Uno faced from other State Street restaurants and a lack of parking contributed to the restaurant's need to close.

Pizzeria Uno owner Tom Beach could not be reached for comment.

O'Driscoll said Urban Land Interests Inc. would have found a new tenant some time ago if it were not for the 365-day rule associated with the Alcohol License Density Ordinance.

The rule requires landlords to find a new tenant within 365 days of releasing their previous tenant if they want to retain their alcohol license.

""We've been contacted by several operators … looking to locate a bar on the State Street or Capitol area, and my answer to them was flat out, ‘You're not going to get a liquor license and so I'm not going to be able to lease it to you,'"" O'Driscoll said.

O'Driscoll said he expects Quaker Steak and Lube to open their new location sometime this summer.

""I think [Quaker Steak and Lube] will be great for State Street,"" he said. ""They're going to bring a lot of new life downtown.""