Controversial renting ordinance considered by city subcommittee

Landlords

The city Landlord and Tenant Issues Subcommittee discussed a controversial proposal to extend the dates landlords can begin rerenting occupied property Thursday.

Students and those supporting the proposal said they feel the current leasing policies create a large false demand for properties, while leasing companies claim they are simply responding to supply and demand.

Adam Johnson, chair of Associated Students of Madison's Legislative Affairs Committee, said there is artificial market demand being pushed onto students.

""I think that there is some predatory and deceptive practices that go on in targeting advertising towards creating these false market pressures, and this happens to both freshmen and returning students,"" he said.  ""Even students that have been here for several years think that everything good is gone by December.""

The Nov. 15 start date to sign leases also poses a conflict for graduate students, according to supporters. By the time grad school acceptance letters arrive, it is too late to lease in the downtown area, proponents said. Graduate students are presented with little opportunity to rent and are forced to the outskirts of off-campus housing.

Some leasing companies said they felt otherwise. According to data presented by opponents of the measure at the meeting, people rent throughout the year. The rush that takes place in the early fall is the result of the top 10 or 15 percent of units that are in demand, opponents said.

An opponent of the ordinance said the demand would only be magnified if the start date was changed to mid-February or mid-March.

Another controversial proposal discussed Thursday involved whether or not at least two owners should be available to be contacted by renters who can exercise control and care of their property.

Opponents argued that the city should specifically concentrate on units that are creating problems, because the passing of this proposal would hurt independent landlords.

The committee decided to take a definite stance about both proposals at their next meeting.